Bottom End Assembly - Help Me Out Please!

1 reply to this topic
  • teamtoxic

Posted December 26, 2004 - 04:15 PM

So I'm helping out a little guy with his CR80. Somehow or another some straight gas ended up in his tank and he fried his rod bearings. I've been helping him with the rebuild but now we're running into a problem with the assembly and can't figure out what's happening...Hopefully the wealth of knowledge here on TT can help me out.

When I assemble the cases and torque the bolts to spec, the shift drum locks up. If I loosen the bolts, it will spin freely. I think when I torque the bolts, it's drawing the case surface into contact with the end of the shift drum, preventing it from rotating easily.

I have a parts breakdown and all pieces seem to be in their place. When I manually run through the gears (before case assembly) it shifts smoothly through every gear.

Is it common to require two base gaskets when reassembling? I'm sure another gasket will do the trick to offer more clearance for the drum, but maybe I'm looking past something.

If you can, please help me (and the little guy) out.

Thanks,

Nick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2004 - 06:44 PM

It sounds more like you have something like a chunk of gasket left on the crankcases, a dowel pin missing or in the wrong spot, crank/main bearing not completely seated, something like that that is not allowing the cases to close up in proper alignment. The shift cam is one of the few things in that assembly that runs directly in the cases, and so would be more sensitive to such misalignment than a shaft floating in a bearing. Remember that the shift cam is not contained in place by the cases, but by the little thrust plate on the right hand case behind the clutch. If it locks up without the thrust plate, it isn't an end play problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.