ti-series o-ring

9 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 26, 2004 - 01:09 PM

is the ti-series krause chain offered by sidewinder a good investment at $150? they say its tensile strength is close to 14,000 lbs!! or would it be better just to buy two of the regular chains for the same money? :cry: i've been using DID x-ring but since i've put on my ironman sprocket chain life seems to be cut in half!! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2004 - 03:28 PM

I think it is our 35 miles of mud in a 78 mile ride at Coal Creek that is eating our chains fast! Mud just eats wheel bearings, chains, sprockets and fork seals! :cry:
My buddy in Michigan got the Ti chain from Sidewinder and it really does last!
Looks good and wears well. I just think I can buy two O-ring chains for that kind of money and they should last as long. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 26, 2004 - 05:33 PM

although that probly didn't help,it is wearing faster than the did o-ring with a steel sprocket. i believe the chrome moly steel and the roughness of the laser cut on the ironman is whats doing it. i wonder if its (the ironman)really worth it if its gonna eat chains twice as fast? :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2004 - 06:14 PM

I go through chain and sprockets 4 times a year. About 1,500 miles is all I will get out of a set. And you know that I lube mine after every ride and wash. :cry: The best I can get is about 3 months or 10 weekends of riding and they are toast! I feel real bad because I have not bothered to send my sprockets in and claim them under the 1 year warranty. :cry: But then again I am not your average weekend rider. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 27, 2004 - 06:32 AM

i didn't count but this last x-ring only lasted about 4-500 mi where as the o-ring lasted about 1000 with the same treatment. is there a difference in the quality of the D.I.D. X vs. O or is it the sprocket? the ironman was the only other change,well W.E.R. sells a reasonably priced ($80) o-ring made by a czeck co. called CZ ,they say its tougher than D.I.D. will try that before layin' out $150 for one. the sprockets have not worn at all,maybe now that some of the rough edges are gone it will wear the chain better? :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gloft

Posted December 27, 2004 - 01:18 PM

I got around 2k miles out of my last ti-series chain! I also have the tri-metal front/rear sprocket and they are showing 0 signs of wear over the same period! I'd recommend the chain. Lot's cheaper than broken cases or hospital visits.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2004 - 05:54 PM

The O-ring is a better design IMO but has more HP loss. Then comes the X - ring chain promising less HP loss and similar life to an O-ring. I say bull! :cry: I am staying with top quality round o-ring chains only! :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:36 AM

I go through chain and sprockets 4 times a year. About 1,500 miles is all I will get out of a set. And you know that I lube mine after every ride and wash. :cry: The best I can get is about 3 months or 10 weekends of riding and they are toast! I feel real bad because I have not bothered to send my sprockets in and claim them under the 1 year warranty. :cry: But then again I am not your average weekend rider. :cry:

That's horrible.... I had several thousand miles on my 426, two race seasons worth of abuse, the engine was shot after two years, it was rebuilt with all 5 gears,new piston,cylinder,valves etc... The funny thing is, the stock chain and sprokets were perfect... Same with my 03... I tried to use an aluminum Renthal sprocket just to see if I could save some weight, it lasted a couple of rides.. Went back to the stock setup... You must ride more mud than I do..

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:50 AM

You bet your ass we have mud! We have chain eating mud back east that never dries up! You guys out west have nothing that compares to our terrain. Send me your used chain for a weekend at Coal Creek on trail 57, 52 and 19 and I will ship it back to you after the weekend and it will be an inch longer! :cry:

• rockieman

Posted December 28, 2004 - 11:06 AM

I just recently ran the Sidewinder chain and sprockets on my '99 400. I have just about 8000 miles on the bike, of which a little over half the miles coming on my Sidewinder sprockets and chain. I did not feel they were the worth the extra $$ based on the fact that I got just as much out of my stock chain & sprockets. I will say this...the rear sprocket has virtually no wear after 3500 miles....front sprocket was toast...as was the chain.
I spent $350 for the Sidewinder set up....a little over half that for replacement Ironman and DID. If the Sidewinder lasted twice as long ....I would have considered it a wash....IMO it wasn't.
Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.