Step by step YZ Timing 450

1 reply to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted December 26, 2004 - 07:38 AM

I wondered if there is any good thread on this forum that explains (step-by-step) and illustrates with pictures, how to correctly exchange the WR cam for a YZ one. (I just ordered the YZ cam)

I´ve seen on this forum how to do it for the 426, which helped me at the time, but the the 450 is different as the camshaft is exchanged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2004 - 08:33 AM

The only difference is that you remove the cam bearing caps and lift out the cam and replace it with the new one.

Precaution Notes:

Do not allow the cam chain to go slack! Pull it tight and use wire to tie it up to the frame!

Do not allow the cam bearing retainer half ring to fall into the engine!

Recheck you exhaust and intake valve clearances and order the shims needed or buy a Hot cams complete shim kit for $62.00.

Rejet for YZ timing by going to a 50 pilot and YZ needle with 170 main.

The job is easy as long as you are careful :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.