Which tires to replace with?

14 replies to this topic
  • gawarrior

Posted December 25, 2004 - 07:52 PM

I need to replace my tires this week. I have a Harescramble this weekend I am doing and I am curious as to what tires ya'll suggest putting on the WR/YZ426 after the stock tires are gone? And I am pretty sure I will go with a soft terrain tire. Just would like to hear suggestions on size and brand.

thanks

• huskyrider

Posted December 25, 2004 - 08:17 PM

I run Pirelli MT 32 120/100 18" rear and MT44 80/100 21" front in SE Texas, we've probably got dirt very much like yours. A lot of other guys I know like the Dunlop 756 here.
Either set would be a good way to go.
You'll find them to be better in the soft stuff than the 739's that came with your bike, if you still have original tires.

See Ya,
Kelly

• gawarrior

Posted December 25, 2004 - 08:26 PM

Kelly, thanks. I am pretty sure it is similar. I think I will go with one of those. I am anxious to see how the softer terrain tire does for sure.

• endurodog

Posted December 25, 2004 - 08:32 PM

I've been running a 756 rear and a 755 front for soft terrian and had pretty good luck with them.

• gawarrior

Posted December 25, 2004 - 08:43 PM

Now with the rear, should I stay with the stock 110 or go wider? And what ways will that affect the handling?

• huskyrider

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:07 PM

I always prefer the widest tire (within reason) I can get on the rear.
If you want to see how big you can go look for the thread that Brandon had here a few years ago. It was a monster street legal knobbie, I wish I could remember what the name of it was.

See Ya,
Kelly

• alfie

Posted December 29, 2004 - 02:35 AM

You should try michelin S12 excellent tyres in soft going.
If its got to be road legal try bridgestone ED660 and ED661 front and rear combo and this set up as worked well for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:40 AM

I always prefer the widest tire (within reason) I can get on the rear.
If you want to see how big you can go look for the thread that Brandon had here a few years ago. It was a monster street legal knobbie, I wish I could remember what the name of it was.

See Ya,
Kelly

It is the Teraflex 140/80 -18 rear and it barely fits in the swingarm! TT member BrandonW recommended them to me.
I love it for hill climbs and technical terrain. Very heavy tire and you will lose the ability to accelerate like usual due to the extra flywheel effect. I run it in the rocks but I do not recommend it for sand or good traction conditions. They are only good for the hard stuff or low traction conditions other than sand. That is why I run 2 extra wheels. One set with a soft tires and the other set for rock tires. :cry:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I'm considering what to look for when my stock WR250 Dunflops bite the dust. It's looking like the M12/S12 combo is pretty popular and a good all-around combination. In one ride last week, I encountered carb-deep mud that was a VERY sticky red clay (bikes came back 50 pounds heavier), and this mud was after going through a very soft rocky/gravel/sand wash, after hard-packed fine gravel.

My typical rides are all of the above minus the thick mud... basic SoCal dez kinda stuff.

• gawarrior

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:47 AM

I got a good deal on some pirelli's soft\intermediate terrain tires. I haven't gotten to use them yet. I ruined two tubes on the front putting them on and missed my last H.S race. But hopefully they will work out good.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 05, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Try Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Tubes! :cry: Pirelli are a great brand! :cry:

• Hamish

Posted January 05, 2005 - 02:03 PM

For all round performance and great value for money you can't go past maxxis IT. Maybe you would require the softer version. The IT I have on the rear has outlasted evey other rear tyre I have tried at least 2 fold. I currently have a 120 on the back, but only because they were out of 110's. I'd personally stick to the 110 as it makes the bike more 'flickable'. The flat profile of the 120 makes it squirmy when on the gas with the bike leant over on firm terrain. It may be a different story on very soft terrain.

• gloft

Posted January 06, 2005 - 02:31 PM

Gawarrior, I live in Ga also and the Michelin s12 rocks in everything but rocks and hard pack :cry:

• Math

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Another vote for the brigestone tubes. Rock solid!

I've been surprised by the kenda trackmaster II this past season. Because it was inexpensive I thought it would not hook very good but I like it pretty much finally :cry: . Just a thought. :cry:

• Jethrro

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:10 PM

I.RC. M5B is in my uneducated opinion is one of the best all around general perpose tire that I have used yet. It works well in clay, mud and last sunday I had it at the Oregon coast and even in sand it was still unstopable.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.