Honda's Factory Team Setup

2 replies to this topic
  • DelTronXR

Posted December 25, 2004 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone know the tire setup that Johnny Campbell and Steve Hengeveld run on their 650R's? I'm not too impressed with my IT, and I think I'm going back to Dunlops.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikekay

Posted December 25, 2004 - 03:22 PM

they run Dunlops because they are sponsored in part by Dunlop.

that doesnt mean its the best tire to go with...just who pays the bills.

to prevent chunking Honda has a machine that shaves down the knobs a bit for the rear 739at. up front it depends on the race. Camp often goes with the 606--trading in loose-stuff traction for a strong carcass. Henge goes for tractino with the 739 or 756...

personally i really like the Kenda Carslbad front and Millville rear on our bike in the dez--affordable and decent milage---for long wear and just overall go anywhere i like the Michelin Desert and Baja. I now have a Metzler Karoo in the rear for dual sport--works good.

• mjlang

Posted December 26, 2004 - 11:23 AM

The Baja bike I've seen used to run Dunlop 606's front and rear. Last year's bike had a front tire that is not released yet with another 606 rear. I understand they also use 742's. I've been using 606's and 739 A/T's for years in the rear and a Pirelli MT 18 front or Dunlop 742.

The 606's don't dig quite as hard when new but after 300 miles they all feel the same. I get 1200 miles from a 606 and use about 5 a year.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.