OUCH--HEADPIPE DENT!!! :confused

2 replies to this topic
  • PERRY.ROSS

Posted July 25, 2001 - 10:00 PM

I just got a WB stainless steel headpipe from Nathan Woods (the #5 nationally ranked 4-stroke MXer who rides a YZ426F). Nathan cleaned house last weekend at the 4 stroke nationals event here in Spokane, WA. However, the stainless headpipe from his practice bike recently took a hard spanking, and now sports about a 1" diameter, 1/2" deep oval-shaped dent right on the front surface of the 180 degree bend.

I took it to a metal fab shop here, they said that because its stainless I'm out of luck. I then called the "guaranteed 35 dollar pipe repair" guys from the ad in Dirt Bike, and they told me the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've thought of drilling a couple of holes in the dent, then maybe using a stainless steel screw and a body shop slide hammer to pull the dent out. Would it help to heat the pipe first before trying to pull the dent?

I hope someone else has maybe successfully dealt with this problem. Thanks in advance for your input!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Jason

Posted July 26, 2001 - 03:15 AM

I would see if you could punch it out with a drift form the inside. As far as using a dent puller, it would work, but you would have to brase the holes. The problem with stainles is it is very hard, and conducts heat very fast. This means you have to heat it very hot very fast or the heat will disapate and you end up blowing big chuncks out of it in gobs. It takes so much heat to work it, it makes it brittle when it cools. I say try to punch it out, if that dosent work, try whatever before getting a new one :) .

• scottannand

Posted July 26, 2001 - 05:12 AM

Perry,
Its is a no problem fix if you have a saw and welding equip.
If you do not want to do it yourself send it to us and we can do it for you for about $50.00 and ship it back to you.There will be a weld at the point we cut the pipe in two to fix the dent. We R&D and manufacture the Yamaha GYTR exhaust system line.
Let me know...

Scott Annand
Yamaha Motors project manager R&D
RAH industries

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.