1st leak

6 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted December 24, 2004 - 08:43 PM

Well, looks like with 450 miles on her I have my first leak. Looks like i'm leaking at the top of the Oil Strainer Nut just below the frame oil drain bolt. Anyone else had this on an XR650L. Should I just tighten it up? Is there a washer or somthing that might be bad? The bike was not leaking a drop until today and I've never even touched the oil strainer nut??????? Interesting??? Any thoughts?

• Mokuleia

Posted December 24, 2004 - 09:23 PM

Remove it, clean the screen, possibly replace the O-ring. Assuming it has an O-ring like the 650r.

• Yeravener

Posted December 30, 2004 - 08:36 PM

DN: If you don't have a Honda Service manual...get one....You want a solid info source for working on your L.

(I have an extra manual for an 05 if you need one) :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted December 30, 2004 - 10:36 PM

I just checked my Clymer manual and the strainer nut does have an O-ring. If its loose, try snugging it up to see it that stops the leak. If it doesnt, you'll have to drain the oil and replace the O-ring.

• socalxr650

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:25 PM

DN: If you don't have a Honda Service manual...get one....You want a solid info source for working on your L.

(I have an extra manual for an 05 if you need one) :cry:

Yeravener

If you still have that manual I am interested, I have an 04 XR L.

Thanks for looking out for your fellow red riders!

• Yeravener

Posted January 03, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Always, SoCal.

Yes, I still have it wrapped in the celo. PM or email me and we can hash the logistics. What part of socal are you located in? I am in the Antelope Valley.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:48 PM

What part of socal are you located in? I am in the Antelope Valley.

I know you werent talking to me, but....... me too. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.