Sand in my motor!

3 replies to this topic
  • CBreaken

Posted December 24, 2004 - 07:01 PM

Well I changed the oil in my 450 the other day and found alot of sand in the filter and filter housing. Upon further inspection the used oil was also contaminated with sand. First thing I did was check the air filter a seal, all good there, the breather hose comming from the head checked all clear as well. I was baffeled about where this sand came from. Well I called up my riding buddy who also rides a 450f and he said he found a bunch of sand in his motor too! I honestly think some greenie put sand in our motors while we were grabbing lunch at the local spot last ride! It's too weird that both bikes suffered the same fate at the same time! Well now I have to tear the motor down and inspect the damage, I'm thinking of replacing the 4 box with the wr unit while its apart. Now my question, dose anyone have a list of the wr tranny parts with part numbers I'm going to have to order? Sorry about the meaningless post, just wanted to vent. Thanks in advance.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 24, 2004 - 08:07 PM

How much? Post a pick of the filtered oil with just the sand so we can see what it is and how much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 35yz450F

Posted December 24, 2004 - 08:28 PM

Well I changed the oil in my 450 the other day and found alot of sand in the filter and filter housing. Upon further inspection the used oil was also contaminated with sand. First thing I did was check the air filter a seal, all good there, the breather hose comming from the head checked all clear as well. I was baffeled about where this sand came from. Well I called up my riding buddy who also rides a 450f and he said he found a bunch of sand in his motor too! I honestly think some greenie put sand in our motors while we were grabbing lunch at the local spot last ride! It's too weird that both bikes suffered the same fate at the same time! Well now I have to tear the motor down and inspect the damage, I'm thinking of replacing the 4 box with the wr unit while its apart. Now my question, dose anyone have a list of the wr tranny parts with part numbers I'm going to have to order? Sorry about the meaningless post, just wanted to vent. Thanks in advance.

If you believe someone actually did this to your bike, please post WHERE and when. Cargo van is in the near future for me anyway. I'd like to see pics as well.

• CBreaken

Posted December 24, 2004 - 11:12 PM

Sorry guys, I didn't think to get any pics of the filter or anything, but I would estimate that there was about a teaspoon of sand that drained out...who knows how much is still in the enigne and sump though :cry: . I know that someone putting sand in the motor is kinda far fetched but, it's just too much of a coincidence that me and buddy both have sand in our engines after the same ride leaving the bikes in th same place and changing our oils a day apart after the ride. I just can't think of another logical explanation. We were riding outside of Adeleato California, just down the highway from racetown 395. The spot we stopped for eats was a pizza factory in adelanto. There were lots of people comming a going from that place when we were there. Thanks for the replies.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.