Stock rear sprocket blows?

3 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted December 24, 2004 - 06:24 PM

Alright, I have not but 250 miles on my 650R and the rear sprocket is taking a beating. I purchased a chain alignment tool and it did prove that my alignment was a little off due to Honda not being able to get the marks right.

Is the stock sprocket really that soft? I'm thinking of buying a steel one and slapping it on so I don't destroy my chain.

Aaron

• RingKingPin

Posted December 24, 2004 - 09:04 PM

The stock sprocket is fine. Sounds like something is wrong. Either it was out of alignment so bad that it wore fast or something else is happening. I roached a sprocket once because the chain guide took a good rock and bent the hanger, putting pressure on one side of the chain laterally which in turn ate my rear sprocket in one ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted December 24, 2004 - 09:16 PM

Yeah I agree, there is something else wrong. My sprocket is stock and has over 6000 miles on it now, and it's showing only very minor hooking of the teeth. The front sprocket is actually wearing more, with noticeable hooking of the teeth, it will be replaced very soon.
Sounds like you had a serious alignment problem.
Oh yeah one more thing that will tear up a chain and sprockets in no time; running the chain too tight will ruin the chain, sprockets, and probably the countershaft bearing too. The chain should have plenty of slack in it. As the rear wheel travels upward when the shock is compressed, the chain takes up slack and get's tighter.

• resslera

Posted December 25, 2004 - 02:52 PM

Alright, sounds like it was out of alignment enough to cause that wear. It seems that the wheel was cocked a little too far right for the first couple hundered which wore the sides of the sprocket.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.