Foamy/Cloudy oil

9 replies to this topic
  • res005hu

Posted December 24, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Changed oil in an 03 WR450F and did not have a manual. Believe it was overfilled and drained out and refilled. Can't seem to get it right. The oil (Castrol 5W-30) burped back out the dipstick hole in the frame after running the engine. When the oil was drained again it was foamy and cloudy.

If someone can overcome the obivious opportunity to razz me about this please provide some positive input. Otherwise have some fun on me. :cry:

Thanks

• endurodog

Posted December 24, 2004 - 09:57 AM

A white foam or cloud to the oil is usually water mixed in, you didn't mentioned the color. How much did you add? A full oil change draining the case and frame you should add 1.1 qt. If you didn't drain your frame you may have over filled.

• res005hu

Posted December 24, 2004 - 05:13 PM

It was refilled with 1.7 qts. The foam was creamy beige. Another interesting development. A small coolant leak has emerged some where in the lower cradle behind the skid plate. Need to investigate.

Thanks for your response..........

• mousemeat

Posted December 24, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Get yourself a manual. You definitely over filled. If i remember right its 1.1L for an oil change, 1.2 for oil and filter and 1.3 for a full rebuild. Its different to the 400's and 426's from what i know. Look on ebay for manuals. You may have blown some seals firing her up with an extra half liter of oil in there.

• 450high

Posted December 25, 2004 - 02:34 AM

I usually put a 1 litre in.I over filled once and it did come back out the dipstick hole when i checked it.Coolant in the skid plate could just be the over flow.Try draining and refilling with a litre and see if the foaming goes away.I would think the coolant in the oil would turn milky very quick.Because the don't hold much oil it would take very little water to turn the oil milky?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • res005hu

Posted December 25, 2004 - 08:55 AM

Thanks to all for the input. I found a manual on CD on ebay for $6 as advised and it's on the way. Dealer wanted $72 for the owners manual.
Will change the oil accordingly.

• Gadsen

Posted December 25, 2004 - 02:01 PM

It was refilled with 1.7 qts. The foam was creamy beige. Another interesting development. A small coolant leak has emerged some where in the lower cradle behind the skid plate. Need to investigate.

Thanks for your response..........

I doubt you have any water in your oil. It appears to have been just overfilled and it aireated. This will whip it into a foam and it will expand and runeth over. Drain it down, let the bubbles work their way out and you'll be OK. As for your coolant leak. I'd guess a water pump seal. Mine only had 90 miles when it started to dribble. I towed it in an open trailer in below freezing weather and when I started it up, shortly afterwards, it leaked a little. I suspect the seal was cold and hard, and as pressure built up along with heat, it softened the seal and the pressure helped it to seal tight and it didnt leak again. But I have ordered me 2 extra seals to have on hand now.

• coldweld

Posted December 26, 2004 - 04:42 AM

OIL Change WITHOUT filter 1.0 L
"" "" with " 1.1 L
Total Oil 1.2 L

Over Fill and a £ 200.00 strip down replace blown gaskets is on the cards !and that was on a WR 400.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 26, 2004 - 07:18 AM

You can download the '03 450 manual for free at this site:
http://www.thumperfa.../oemmanuals.htm

• too_nice

Posted December 26, 2004 - 10:24 AM

get that 5 w 30 oil out of there, go with something like mobile 1 15w40, red cap, i know its expensive, but very good

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.