98 yz400f hot starting

2 replies to this topic
  • FNG

Posted December 23, 2004 - 11:12 PM

Okay, recently I went riding and anytime I started the bike (once it was hot) I used the hot start and it fired with one or two kicks. Then, the next time out (a week or so later) I had a very hard time starting it with the hot start. When I left the hot start alone, it would start easier. The temps were a little cooler but nothing else had been done to or happened to the bike. Any idea why this might have happened? Is there something wrong with the bike if it starts easier without the hot start? Keep in mind, this was even the case following a stall after 20 minutes of riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted December 24, 2004 - 06:32 AM

When I rode my '98's I don't think I ever had to use the hot start. Now that I have my 450, it's a MUST DO. With the cooler air, the bike is subjected to a leaner condition with more dense air available, so less likely to have to use the hot start. It's kinda like not having to use the choke when it's 100+ degrees out. You may need to play with your pilot screw a little to get spot on jetting when the temps drop, and if you do that, I think you'll find you'll have to go back to using the hot start like before. It's all about the right fuel/air mixture.
:cry:

• FNG

Posted December 24, 2004 - 11:21 AM

Thanks. Being new to dirtbikes the hot start is a foreign thing to me. I thought it was a must do for all conditions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.