Ricky Stator

8 replies to this topic
  • thouk

Posted December 23, 2004 - 04:08 PM

Hello Everybody,
I just purchased a new Ricky Stator, the dual output 200+ watt output, for my 2001 Xr650r. I noticed that the coils are not epoxied like most of the tips pages have done with them. Is it necessary to epoxy the coils? Thanks, Tony

• gnnova

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:28 AM

I rewound my own stator for 200 watts for my XR650R a year ago and did not epoxy the new wires expect at the base where the wire would go from one post to another. The XR650R's stators run in air not in oil as the older XR600's and should not need the extra protection. It's been a year and many hard miles with not problems. If you look at www.4strokes.com they have an article on stator winding that I used.

• thouk

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Ken,

• apolloxx

Posted December 25, 2004 - 04:30 PM

I've had my 200 watt Ricky Stator in my piggy for a little over a year now, no problems, even with weekly rides and various lighting setups, dual sporting, etc. I called Ricky with the same question you have right after I put the stator in. He told me they do not need to be epoxied, and he did not know why the factory chose to do so, other than overkill.

Good choice, I'd buy mine over again if I had too :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted December 25, 2004 - 04:47 PM

Baja Designs guarantees their stator rewinds for the life of the bike. So if it goes bad for whatever reason you don't have to buy it again. :cry:

• 6fiddy

Posted December 27, 2004 - 02:01 PM

hey, i just bought the same thing for my pig, i didnt get any instructions though.. i dont like taking stuff apart unless i know what im in for. i was emailed that i would need the dual output version. do you have any install tips or anything? is it like a plug and play thing? thanks for any tips!! :cry:

• hill5150

Posted December 27, 2004 - 02:06 PM

:cry: The stator is a piece of cake to install, just unscrew the exterior bolts and cover and there you have the stator :cry: three bolts she's out and you pop the new one in. the dual output is for high power lighting, much better than the fridge light Honda provides. :cry:

• 6fiddy

Posted December 28, 2004 - 02:08 PM

but what about the wires?? can ya hepme?

• hill5150

Posted December 28, 2004 - 02:37 PM

The wires coming from the stator are 4 outputs for the lighting, these should be green and white one is ziptied together with the other and the other set is not, the remaining wires are for the ignition, they plug into the wiring harness where you unplugged the old stator, make sure you mark where you unplugged the wires for the old stator under the seat :cry: if you go to xr650r.net they have a manual and a wiring diagram that will show the wiring for your bike. :cry:

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.