05 WR450 setup questions...

7 replies to this topic
  • skeener2

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:33 AM

I'm 6'1 & 220 lbs...or so. :-)

I have a few setup questions.

1. Geometry. What are people doing with the fork/triple clamp heights? Stay stock? Drop the triple 5 millimeters?

2. Handle bar height. I seem to be uncomfortably bent over when riding with the stock bars. On my 98 YZ400F I put a set of ATV bars on it. (Yeah...I know...but for $15 I can't complain.) Is it common to raise the bars for most taller riders?

3. Clutch steels. Are they actually steel and good for woods riding or not? (I'm asking because i don't feel like opening the side of the engine to verify.) I have in the past...on first dirtbike/CR250 - completely shredded the aluminum plates into itty-bitty shavings. I'd rather not do this to a new bike.

Thanks all!!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2004 - 04:51 PM

raise the fork up to 15mm for quick turning. ( I recommend the Scotts with a 15mm raise)

Stock clutch is incredible! You should get 2 years plus out of it! :cry:

A lot of TT members raise the bars with new tripple tree and mounts. Go with the fat bars while you are at it. :cry:

• DEZRCR

Posted December 27, 2004 - 05:46 AM

I'm 6'1 & 220 lbs...or so. :-)

I have a few setup questions.

1. Geometry. What are people doing with the fork/triple clamp heights? Stay stock? Drop the triple 5 millimeters?

2. Handle bar height. I seem to be uncomfortably bent over when riding with the stock bars. On my 98 YZ400F I put a set of ATV bars on it. (Yeah...I know...but for $15 I can't complain.) Is it common to raise the bars for most taller riders?

3. Clutch steels. Are they actually steel and good for woods riding or not? (I'm asking because i don't feel like opening the side of the engine to verify.) I have in the past...on first dirtbike/CR250 - completely shredded the aluminum plates into itty-bitty shavings. I'd rather not do this to a new bike.

Thanks all!!!

I'm 6'1 220 also, and have found running the taller bars help. I run the Tag T2 triple clamp, and T2 CR double high bend. The T2 triple clamp also has 4 positions, so I run it all the way forward. It puts the bars right over the top of the forks (which makes it hard to adjust the rebound) but makes the riders cockpit much more comfortable.

• skeener2

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:11 AM

What about bar strength? I ride in seriously rocky areas. Means wiping out usually at least once per ride. (Most I am close to recovering and do the 'running man' thing to stay on my feet. Ocassionally I do the full kamakzi ride..."Where's my bike go???" which has bent my steel ATV bars in the past.)

Also...cable lengths. Do you folks call Terry Cables and get ones custom made? (They didn't have any for the 05 just yet.)

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Spokes

Posted December 27, 2004 - 12:05 PM

I'm 6'4" and run Answer top clamp and tall bar mounts for Pro-Tapor bars. I also run a tall seat and I've changed the pegs so they are lower and further back. The Pro-Tapors are really good. I've run these same bars on many bikes.

This really opens up the bike and makes it easier to ride standing up.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Rubber mounted Pro tapers with Bark busters are perfect for rocky crashes! I have yet to bend my bars and have gone thru 4 sets of bark busters in rocks and trees. :cry:

• Husky_Forever

Posted December 27, 2004 - 06:45 PM

I was running Pro Tapers Hi Bend Honda bend bars until I looked at the Pro Taper Kawie bend bars. A full 1.5-2.0 inches higher than Honda. I run those now. :cry:

• skeener2

Posted December 27, 2004 - 06:49 PM

But what about the cables??? Where youse folks going for them???

When I added the taller bars on the YZ400 I definately needed longer cables.

Talk to me here...

:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.