01 YZ 426 Gearing question?

31 replies to this topic
  • Brandon Meidam

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:58 PM

I own a 01 YZ 426 that I bought with a 15 front sproket and a 46 rear sprocket and they are due for replacement. I would like to have the gearing a little lower for tighter trail riding. I know stock is 14 front and 49 rear. Does anyone have a recomendation for gearing? Is there an advantage to running a larger front sproket and a smaller rear than stock? Someone told me that it is a little easier on the motor?

Brandon

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 22, 2004 - 09:24 PM

14/52 and hold on!

Works great in all riding situations from trails to Washougal to indoor.

• Scooter426

Posted December 22, 2004 - 10:42 PM

I use 14/50, 14/51, 14/52 depending on track.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:24 AM

I wanst happy with the 14/52 on my 426. It was far too short of a gear and ran outa steam too soon, I am much happier with the 14/50 combo I currently use even in the tight stuff. I can hold one gear in the meat of the power much easier and it'll still pull the front end up with no hesistation.
My $.02.........

• John_Lorenz

Posted December 23, 2004 - 12:09 PM

Brandon

I set my 426 up with a 14/50 stock is 14/49 as you know

That one tooth mad a bigg differance.

On other thing you really should consider is a Rekluse Clutch

I will tell you along with everyone that has tryied or wons a Rekluse, this will make your 426 the woods weapon it truly is.

I only went with the 50 rear because the 49 was not available. Bu just setting up the clutch, makes the 426 100% better in the woods. It is the IMO the top 3 mods for the 426
1: is the GBmod
2: is Suspecnsion
3: is the Rekluse

If you have a chance to ride a bike with one, do it, If your ever up my way in Hollister or we ever have a chance to ride together, You are welcome to try my bike, I tell you once you do you will order a clutch.

Rekluse has the Best Customer Service I have ever encountered, they will make it work for you and walk you throug the setup

400 bucks and you will have a rocket ship in the woods. And yes it works great for MX tracks as well

• TonyDeCoster

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:13 PM

I use the same combo depending on the track. I like the stock gearing for most situations. Adding a larger rear sprocket helps on supercross-type tracks but is too low for arenacross where you don't shift hardly at all anyway. The bigger gear isn't needed for outdoor stuff as the bike has monster torque to begin with. For desert, you might want to drop the rear sprocket to get a little more top speed.

• 426mankiller

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:18 PM

I run 13/49 on my 01 426 with a rekluse clutch. The gearing by itself is sufficient for trail riding if you ride all day in 2nd gear on up. Some trails I ride have rock beds, rock ledges and tight switchbacks that make the rekluse a necessity you can't live without once you try it in that type of stuff.

As far as sprocket sizes, 13/49 and 14/52 will get you the same final drive ratio, but some people say small front sprockets are hard on chains, some say big rear sprockets are prone to trail damage, whatever your preference, really.

• Brandon Meidam

Posted December 23, 2004 - 11:21 PM

Does anyone know if there is an advatage to running a 15 tooth in the front in place of the 14 stock? I am trying to figure out where my current 15 front with 46 rear would compare to stock. I do not have the stock sprokets but know the bike is geared to high for my riding style. (tighter trails and hill climbs with some open trails). Would my current 15/46 be comparable to the stock 14/49? 1 tooth larger on front is like having 3 more on the rear? I just ordered a new 14 and a 15 front since they were only 6.99 a piece through rockymountainatv.com, but I am going to try a friends rear 49 with both the 14 and the 15 front to see were I end up before I buy a $60.00 rear stainless one. I also get into some very rocky deep trials that may hit a larger rear sproket than a 49. Thanks for the info.

Brandon

• Goosedog

Posted December 24, 2004 - 03:01 PM

Well I made the classic mistake today of assuming. I thought my YZ had the typical factory set up 14/49, so without actually looking to see, I stopped by the Yamaha shop and bought a Renthal 51T rear to shorten the gearing a little. When I got home and only after I ripped open the new sprocket package I looked at the factory rear and it's a 50T. Oh well, at least I've made the switch from steel to aluminum. Do you think I'll notice a difference of one tooth in the rear for woods riding?

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone know if there is an advatage to running a 15 tooth in the front in place of the 14 stock? I am trying to figure out where my current 15 front with 46 rear would compare to stock. I do not have the stock sprokets but know the bike is geared to high for my riding style. (tighter trails and hill climbs with some open trails). Would my current 15/46 be comparable to the stock 14/49? 1 tooth larger on front is like having 3 more on the rear? I just ordered a new 14 and a 15 front since they were only 6.99 a piece through rockymountainatv.com, but I am going to try a friends rear 49 with both the 14 and the 15 front to see were I end up before I buy a $60.00 rear stainless one. I also get into some very rocky deep trials that may hit a larger rear sproket than a 49. Thanks for the info.

Brandon

one down in front should be like 3 up in the rear. so your gearing is for like total desert riding(i think), nothing but top end. like 110mph top speed. i might be wrong but im pretty sure im right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tool

Posted December 24, 2004 - 07:01 PM

Does anyone know if there is an advatage to running a 15 tooth in the front in place of the 14 stock? I am trying to figure out where my current 15 front with 46 rear would compare to stock. I do not have the stock sprokets but know the bike is geared to high for my riding style. (tighter trails and hill climbs with some open trails). Would my current 15/46 be comparable to the stock 14/49?
...see were I end up before I buy a $60.00 rear stainless one. I also get into some very rocky deep trials that may hit a larger rear sproket than a 49.

i think the only advantage to larger sprockets is on the rear, where a bigger sprocket is something like an oversized front rotor; theres more leverage.
its easy to try. 14/47 is nothing like 15/50. its harder to turn the wheel with a small sprocket. with the 50t on the back, the engine is peppier.

i like 14-15/50. but i also dig 15/47 for desert. :cry:

• 426mankiller

Posted December 24, 2004 - 08:24 PM

there are alot of posts here that say 15 tooth front sprockets are good for lugging the bike, but I tried riding tight trails and rocks with the stock 14/49 (without abusing the clutch) and my bike gave me one of these :cry: when it came to trying to "lug" my 215 lbs!! I tried gear swapping also and I found that 13/49 was for me the dividing line between low enough to get thru tight stuff but still tall enough that I could let off the gas and coast or do a top end blast on open trails--I found that when you get lower than 13/49 that every time you let off the gas the engine braking throws you over the handlebars, and that gets old quick. I hope some of this info helps

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 27, 2004 - 11:35 PM

Ditto to what Matt says. I run a 14/52 and it is perfect for both Woods and MX.

• yzwiley

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:43 AM

I am trying to figure out where my current 15 front with 46 rear would compare to stock. I do not have the stock sprokets but know the bike is geared to high for my riding style. (tighter trails and hill climbs with some open trails).

Dude, that thing is geared for the Baja 1000. It couldn't be much fun at Pozo, or even worse, Clear Creek.

I suggest you take it back to stock gearing and work your way from there; 14/49. That is a good all-around gearing ratio that should work okay everywhere, ...except Baja or the Daytona 200.

The countershaft sprocket is a great way to change your gearing for different situations. If you're riding tight woods go with the 13t. Or, if you're riding fast desert stuff then go with the 15t.

By changing out the countershaft sprocket you'll have less issues with chain length problems. If you wish to achieve different gearing by swaping out the rear sprocket you may very well run into issues with the chain being too short or too long.

Personally, I run 13/50 for the woods and if I do ride faster stuff, i.e. Pozo, I simply change out the countershaft sprocket to a 14t.

• Brandon Meidam

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:14 PM

I think you are right as well. My bike has a super high first gear and I feel like I have to use the cluch alot with the 15/46 combo. I also can rarely use 4th and 5th is very fast. I just recieved my new 14 and 15 front sprokets and I borrowed a friends 49 to try on the rear this weekend. I have a feeling I am going to end up with 14/50 combo that everyone seems to be running. I will post the results after my test ride.

Brandon

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 29, 2004 - 11:22 PM

I like 13/49. Worked great for me.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 30, 2004 - 04:27 AM

15/46? :cry: Wow bet that thing does 150mph! The exact opposite of what you want on tight trails.

Since you're so far off, my advice is buy some el-cheapo steel sprockets (JT Sprockets can be had for about $12 front and $20 rear) and get the stock ratio, 14/49. That will be a very large difference from your current 15/46. If you like the new ratio then keep the cheapo sprockets, if not then you haven't lost much on testing. If you're offroad more than MX then the cheapo steel sprockets are the way to go anyway. Steel lasts just about forever and you'll never notice the extra weight on the trail. If you must have light weight but want the durability of steel, then go with Ironman Sprockets. But buy them soon, the manufacturer will be raising the prices as of 1/1/05. They did not say this, but my guess is the price increase is due to the cost of steel (it has been going up). I know that some exhaust manufacturers are raising prices a little due to the cost of steel.

• berudd

Posted December 30, 2004 - 05:57 AM

15/46 is very VERY high gearing. As far as a larger front sprocket goes, theoretically, it is supposed to be easier on the chain since it does not have to bend as much around the larger radius. Pratically, I suspect that is less important comparted to the other abuse we subject a chain to.

So, stock in mine is 14/49 and I went to 14/51 to lower the gear. I don't ride trails much at all but I did notice the difference there. And it is great on the track. I can not imagine riding the bike in anthing but the wide open desert with your gearing. If I left the 14 on the front I would have to go to a 43 in the back to get a similar rations. Where do you ride? If you really are in tight trails, I bet your clutch is toast!

Like I said, I don't like to trail ride but if I did I would leave the 51 in back and go down to a 13 in the front. Staying at 14 in front and going up to 53 or so in back is probably better, but that would make the chain eat through the chain guide in no time and I would prefer to avoid that.

Are you sure you are really running 15/46?

• yzwiley

Posted December 30, 2004 - 12:01 PM

If you must have light weight but want the durability of steel, then go with Ironman Sprockets.

Best damn sprockets on earth. Their product has amazed me with their durability. Before running Ironman I was happily running Renthals where I'd get four months of use with a set. I've got a set of Ironman that I've had for over a year and they look like they have another year left on them. InFrigginCredible.

• sickbird

Posted December 30, 2004 - 01:21 PM

I run a 14/50 or 13/50 depending on how slow or difficult the terrain is. You can change easily without messing with chain links. I've put close to 2 thousand miles on an AFAM sprocket gold chain combo. I run a 14/47 for the desert. The 13/50 is my favorite.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.