It's true what they say

18 replies to this topic
  • BoZerk

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:26 PM

Last night I was prepping my pig for a ride today and as is my custom I tightened the right side foot peg bolts. They've been tight every time I checked them lately but this time the allen bolt was lose. I tightened it and the head basically just twisted off.

Well, I guess it's true what they say, the right side foot peg bolts break. I'm just glad it happened in my garage and not 30 miles from the truck. I had to make a mad dash to the hardware store right before closing to get a replacement. Can you guess what happened....yeah that's right, they didn't have a fine thread allen bolt....surprising right?

Well I made it work with a hex bolt and two lock washers so I still had my ride today. If you don't make the foot peg mod, and even if you do, do yourself a favor and get a few backup bolts, because it's not if they will break it's when. I'm getting two just for the fanny pack.

• JackAttack

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:46 PM

After my footpeg broke off the second time. I drilled through the front hole in the frame and put in a hardened steel bolt and nut. I think this is a stronger set-up. Time will tell. :cry:

• qadsan

Posted December 22, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Kritter here on TT has a nice fix that he sells to people needing a high quality solution. He welds a steel bracket (same kind of steel as railroad rails) to the footpeg assembly that provides additional load distribution & strength. He has footpeg assemblies made up and ready to swap out. If you're good with a hand drill (steady & straight), then installation is fairly simple.

• jws

Posted December 22, 2004 - 08:27 PM

yep its true :cry: mine busted off over thanksgiving weekend - we were camped out at anderson. we ran into town and picked up an eazy out and a couple of new bolts and fixed it :cry: i did think of trying to find kritter - i know he was out there somewhere for the rhr race

here are some pics......

pic 1
pic 2

jeff :cry:

• Kritter

Posted December 22, 2004 - 09:55 PM

All you gotta do is give me a holler and set up a date to stop by the house and I will have you in and out as fast as I can with a BIG thru bolt up front, stronger rear bolt, and an altered peg post...or just send me yours and I will send you it back altered with the new hardware.

And yes I found out too that hardware stores do not carry a SH screw in M10-1.25.

Even if you dont buy my fix...drill the front frame hole with a 7/16 bit and run a 7/16 socket head screw thru the frame with a lock nut and red loctite on the back side and put a Socket head screw M10-1.25 X 50mm in the rear...but even with that mod...its still the cantilevered peg waiting to break off. I started with just the mod above and when I took it apart to do my fabricated mod...the bolts were bent...

www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

PS...my mod is MUCH nicer the UN precision concepts fix!

• jws

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:26 AM

All you gotta do is give me a holler and set up a date to stop by the house and I will have you in and out as fast as I can with a BIG thru bolt up front, stronger rear bolt, and an altered peg post...!

how about tomorrow????

• mikekay

Posted December 23, 2004 - 11:00 AM

Five years of production and Honda wont bother to fix the footpeg problem--i know of at least 3 cases where people have broken their foot when the peg came off...i am sure there are many more...

The Team Honda Baja 1000 XR650R has the same fix as Kritter offers....in fact Johnny Campbell sells them at his 1Xinternational.com website...and Precision Concepts stocks them....so i guess Honda knows theres a potentially dangerous problem!
:cry:

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 05:15 PM

I change the bolts a couple of times a season but have always had that peg breaking thing in the back of my mind.Monday I was at PC for some work and had em put the new mount on while they were at it.Looks good, no worries now. Kritter's part looks just as good judging from the pic.

• Kritter

Posted December 23, 2004 - 05:42 PM

how about tomorrow????

What time? Seeing that it is xmas eve and all I have some priorities but I could squeeze ya in somewhere, if not I am open to doing it sat afternoon or sunday.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kritter

Posted December 23, 2004 - 05:44 PM

I change the bolts a couple of times a season but have always had that peg breaking thing in the back of my mind.Monday I was at PC for some work and had em put the new mount on while they were at it.Looks good, no worries now. Kritter's part looks just as good judging from the pic.

If you noticed the part they put on was a piece of angle iron hacked up with a tab welded to it and then welded to your peg...

My piece is a one piece deal that I had burned and bent and I weld that one piece on. I have heard the PC one hits the motor as well.

PC does not make the peg, they buy it from somebody so its not their fault...im gonna try to get mine in the mix there once I get enough out in the field and proven.

• jws

Posted December 23, 2004 - 06:06 PM

What time? Seeing that it is xmas eve and all I have some priorities but I could squeeze ya in somewhere, if not I am open to doing it sat afternoon or sunday.

check your PMs

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:06 PM

One clean weld across the top, doesn't touch the motor, looks pretty trick.Might be a new batch or they copied yours...

• Kritter

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:03 PM

One clean weld across the top, doesn't touch the motor, looks pretty trick.Might be a new batch or they copied yours...

Its good to know that they changed it whether they copied mine or not...the old piece was ho-key to put it nicely and i have freinds that were unhappy with it...especially for the $125 price tag and it doenst even use a larger diameter bolt or improved bolt in the rear.

The biggest reason the things break is because the ID of the peg mount hole is .4375 and the OD of the bolt shank is only .3937...you can do the math and figure out that the slop once loose is what makes the things break

• jws

Posted December 26, 2004 - 07:58 AM

Kritter here on TT has a nice fix that he sells to people needing a high quality solution. He welds a steel bracket (same kind of steel as railroad rails) to the footpeg assembly that provides additional load distribution & strength. He has footpeg assemblies made up and ready to swap out. If you're good with a hand drill (steady & straight), then installation is fairly simple.

took my bike to Krtters place friday for the footpeg fix :cry: Kris had my peg off, tab welded and back on in about a 1/2 hour. This was a very clean fix, not a hack job.

i highly recommend this fix to anyone who rides a BRP :cry:

jeff

• Kritter

Posted December 26, 2004 - 12:24 PM

Glad you liked it! I will have your new rear bolt in the mail monday or tuesday...same to you too Gary/Qadsan...i will also be doing a lot of welding on mon and tuesday afternoon if you wanted to bring another of your BRP's by

• allan68

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:09 AM

I have never heard of this problem...Does this go for 650L's as well? :cry:

Al

• SMOKE

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:56 PM

just made a post in the picture section [URL=http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1608784#post1608784]clickey hope this helps

• jws

Posted December 27, 2004 - 07:11 PM

just made a post in the picture section clickey hope this helps

[url]http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210399

• Kritter

Posted December 28, 2004 - 03:21 PM

JWS...your new bolt is in the mail.

Qadsan...did you still want me to hang on to it or mail it to you?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.