Scotts damper or Enzo Suspension mods?

15 replies to this topic
  • Mattheww

Posted December 22, 2004 - 05:49 PM

Just got back into riding after 4-5 years. I bought an '03 Wr450 and have done all the free mods, plus added a White Brother E2 exhaust, CR-Hi bend Pro Taper S.E. bars, Seal Savers, Devol skid plate & frame guards, Sidewinder Tri-Metal sprocket, DID X-Ring Chain, Zip-Ty fuel screw and JD jetting kit.

I'm planning on racing in my first Enduro in mid Jan (SE&TRA Swamp Fox in Charleston, SC.)

Should I get the Scott's steering stabilizer or ENZO fork and shock mods first?

Thanks, Matt.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:30 PM

I recommend the Scotts first. It will save your ass from some nasty crashes! :cry:

• Khari

Posted December 22, 2004 - 10:37 PM

Really? That's interesting. I would have thought suspension first. But I'm still learning...

• L8TBRKR

Posted December 23, 2004 - 03:57 AM

Not sure what type of terrain your riding on, but I would do the suspension first. Unless your running a bunch of hi speed stuff the stabilizer can wait. If the suspension is set-up properly, that in its self could save your but! Not to mention make your ride a whole lot less work, especially if your no where near what is considered an avergae size rider. JMHO. :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:33 AM

The Scotts is not just for high speed stability! It is awesome in riding rooty, rocky trails at any speed or tight trees where the front wheel wants to get redirected without your desire! It saves my butt almost every ride! Unless you have cat quick reflexes and arms like the Hulk I would not underestimate the added control the Scotts unit gives you. :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:54 AM

Hey Matt... If you bought the bike used I would change the fork fluid and set the forks back to the stock settings then ride it. Personaly, I liked the way my 03 handled stock. It's a good idea to get a dampner if you can afford it.. :cry:

• RichBaker

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Stabilizer......the stock suspension is pretty darn good. Unless you're huge, you'll be pretty happy with it. I put a 5.6kg/mm spring on the shock and that's all. It works great, I'm ~200#

• Mattheww

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:21 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. Dan, the bike WAS bought used but it only had 400 miles on it and was in like new condition. I don't think the fork oil will need to be changed. I have set the settings back to factory specs and adjusted the sag to 4" (I'm 185lbs and the sag was 4 1/2"). I also raised the forks about 3/16" and have the top of the triple clamp even with the second line on the forks (I'll lower them if it feels too unstable at speed). I think I'll get the Scotts first since I hear the Enduro's in the SE are pretty tight with plenty of roots/rocks.

--Matt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 24, 2004 - 06:17 AM

Matt, sounds good.... :cry:

• tp3dxf

Posted December 24, 2004 - 11:43 AM

Get the stabilizer first. I was amazed at the difference it made on my bike. From now on all my bikes will have one.

• dez4ever

Posted December 24, 2004 - 12:01 PM

Whichever you choose to do first I'd like to shed a little light on the suspension choice if I might. I have an 04 WR450 and had Enzo do it withen a month of buying the bike. I ride mostly desert, race District 37 and like to ride single track and maybe 10% of my riding is motorcross. I work in Santa Ana and Enzo is in Santa Ana so it was really nice and close. I knew going into it that they did mostly motocross but I figured this guy has more time inside the Kayaba forks than anyone out there. I had to take my supension back to them no less than 8 times because whatever they were doing was not what would work in the desert. I got so good at taking my forks and shock off that I got to where I could do it complete in 8 mins...not to bad for a non factory mechanic. I had to try and find the humor in it somewhere because I was really tired of having to do it. The last few times I just dropped the bike off and they did it themselves. Their customer service was great but I finally got tired of it and felt that we were no closer to where I wanted to be from the start.

With all that being said I tried ACME suspension in Oak Hills, Ca. I checked around and everything I heard about his work for the desert was very positive. He has done several National Champions as well as weekend warriors. I have never been more satisfied. I took my suspension in on a Saturday and he did it for me while I waited. The guys name is Daryl and if you see him it might throw you off a bit because he's not a small guy in any stretch of the imagination but his work was great. Chop, woops, rocky stuff...it all works good.

I'm only telling you this because of what I went through. I've talked to a few others riding or racing the same bike and they actually went through the same thing I did with Enzo and then went to ACME are a now very pleased with the results.

Good luck,

Bob

ACME Suspension - DAryl 760-949-6794

• tp3dxf

Posted December 25, 2004 - 10:10 AM

Dez, funny I was thinking the same thing when he mentioned Enzo as his choice for the WR450 suspension mod. I know they are probably really good for the MX suspension tuning but I have heard mix things about MX shops setting up Offroad suspension.

I went with ESP and really like the results. ACME has a really good rep in D-37 and I almost went there but ESP was closer to home.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 26, 2004 - 10:12 PM

Matthew, dont mean to hijack, but how do you like the E2?

• dez4ever

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:06 AM

Dez, funny I was thinking the same thing when he mentioned Enzo as his choice for the WR450 suspension mod. I know they are probably really good for the MX suspension tuning but I have heard mix things about MX shops setting up Offroad suspension.

I went with ESP and really like the results. ACME has a really good rep in D-37 and I almost went there but ESP was closer to home.

Yeah, this is my fouth Yamaha 4 stroke and I have tried several different supension companies because they were close to home...RG3, Shock Therapy, Enzo. But after all the driving back and forth to have my suspension worked on the locall was kind of a wash. Daryl is a pretty nice guy and fairly helpfull. I had to replace a fork seal yesterday and was able to get him on the phone on a Sunday with a couple of questions I had. Not a lot of other places you would be able to do that.

• Mattheww

Posted December 27, 2004 - 01:54 PM

I really like the E2. I haven't ran it without the silencer/arrester insert yet, but with it in, it's pretty close to the stock silencer uncorked with a bit more bottom end.

• dez4ever

Posted December 28, 2004 - 11:32 AM

I've got an E2 also. I've only used it up in Kennedy Meadows and in Gorman for the Qualifier, it seemed to work pretty good. I did uncork it and ride it at local motocross track...seem to work pretty good but man was it loud!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.