idling hot?

9 replies to this topic
  • 99raptor

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:13 PM

hadn't run my 450 for a week or so[miserable weather] so i fired her up and let it idle for 10 min or so. noticed a puddle of coolant and like to have died.pulled the skid off and cleaned it all up to see where my problem was. restarted it and climbed under the bike about 3 min one of the pink lines[i assume from the radiator ]started spitting coolant.is this normal for a yz to run hot after so little idle time?better just run it around the block than just sit to promote some air flow thru the radiator?

• SureBlue

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:27 PM

Let them idle for over 3-5 minutes and they all puke coolant. :cry:

• bluerider450

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:50 PM

yeah fourstrokes run hot so you should try and keep air flowing through the radiator and it could also be running lean

• 99raptor

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:58 PM

thanx alot now i'll be able to sleep tonite

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2004 - 03:04 PM

Yes, it's totally normal. I might as well also tell you now that 2-3 minutes of idling will cause your head pipe to glow a rather pronounced shade of red that you will one day notice if it's a little bit dark out. Four-strokes, especially those with their combustion chambers packed full of valves, are like sharks; they need to keep moving. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted December 22, 2004 - 10:45 PM

normal , just keep her movin when you can. These bikes hate to sit still and idle.

• condog_aus

Posted December 23, 2004 - 01:06 AM

Thats a seriously good way to cook an otherwise perfect engine. The manual states not to let it idle more than a few minutes without good airflow.

• SureBlue

Posted December 23, 2004 - 02:16 AM

I just hope you haven't blown your head gasket and damaged the piston rings already...

• Fastest1

Posted December 23, 2004 - 12:17 PM

Very unlikely at no load, hot yes, but no real damage!

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 23, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Do not let a four-stroke idle for more than 3 minutes, coolant will spew out the overflow if you do.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.