Acerbis Rally Pro / Stock 650R Levers

12 replies to this topic
  • SParki

Posted December 22, 2004 - 06:02 AM

After too many damaged fingers I have decided to replace my useless stock handguards with a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards. The guards arrived, but alas, the levers are too long :cry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some shorter levers (I found an earlier thread that lists the shorter lever bolts so that'll be good). I'm based in the UK but don't really care where I get them from as long as I can get em on!

help always appreciated.

• Rockjockey

Posted December 22, 2004 - 06:18 AM

I just use a bolt cutter to shorten levers then file to clean up the ends.

• TimBrp

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:06 AM

I would suggest against cutting your levers. If I had a digi camera I'd show you my nice scar. Lever went through my hand :cry: . Get yourself some nice Moose Shorty levers. Best I've used yet.

• XR650Rrider

Posted December 22, 2004 - 11:10 AM

I run Rally Pro's and the levers work fine. Just loosen the clamps on the clutch/decompressor and brake and move them in a little bit. I do run Renthal bars though. Put them on before I ever rode the bike.

Posted December 22, 2004 - 01:42 PM

XR650Rider has the right solution. Just loosen the two bolts on both the brake/clutch perches and slide them over 1/2 inch or whatever it takes to get enough clearance and then tighten the 2 bolts per perch back up. :cry:

• 1biglung

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:14 PM

Mine are shortened and filed smooth.

It was done by the previous owner and seem to be fine. No sharp edges or points.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rockjockey

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:20 PM

How could you get a lever through the hand with rally pro handguards on? I've been shortening my levers since the seventies,never had a problem with it.

• Haymaker

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:34 PM

The Rally Pros spine is extremely mallaeble, so you can create quite a bit of extra room for the levers. Stick them in a vise and either manhandle them, or beat them into submission with a rubber mallet.

Both of my levers are cut down. Who needs all that extra room anyway? The 650 has an easy enough pull.

I'm not too worried about the cut off levers, not with the handguards covering them. The guards'll make a mean wound, I actually broke one of them with the back of my hand, removing quite a chunk of skin. But then, you oughta see what they did to my wrists! :-)

• CAM2R

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:47 PM

What a way to earn your nickname!

I had to look at those x-ray pics. Hope that will wrap up the surgeries for a while. I'll be thinking about those injuries for sure and keep to the tight (slow) singletrack.

• Outrider

Posted December 22, 2004 - 06:16 PM

I got the Moose racing short levers, they look good and have a red rubber grip on the front of them. :cry:

• SParki

Posted December 23, 2004 - 12:56 AM

thaks for all the info guys - much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on :cry:

• Haymaker

Posted December 23, 2004 - 04:36 AM

Hee hee. It's a good lesson to know what is on the blind side of things before you go bobmbing a hill at 70+. Surgeries are done at this point, last metal came out last wednesday. 2.5 years and counting.

And YES! I still ride. Started puttering 1 year in.

The 'Pros work! The bike endoed hard enough to wrack the fender and seat 6" to one side, and had sod stuck on the bars up to the crossbar junction on both sides. Yet the levers/perches survived, and I still run the Renthals to this day. Of course, I think if the bars had let go, those xrays would have been far less dramatic.... And cheaper......

• 6fiddy

Posted December 27, 2004 - 02:06 PM

can you tell me where to get shorter lever bolts as well? thanks!! :cry:

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.