Where'd it Go?

12 replies to this topic
  • BoZerk

Posted December 21, 2004 - 03:25 PM

missing piece

Here's a picture of my stock skid plate. I've been a big fan of the stock plate and never really considered up grading until now. I noticed this last time out. I just chewed off a big piece of it somehow.

Well, now it's time for a new skid plate. I know this has been covered before but, what are you guys running, do you like it, and why?

• qadsan

Posted December 21, 2004 - 06:05 PM

I run the White Brothers skid plate. It bolts up to the stock mounts (no clamps), it's inexpensive, well built, protects the front and front/sides, has the front machined so the oil downtube bolt can be accessed and it works fine with the ManFunnel :cry:

You can also get it at a discount from the TT store :cry:

• TimBrp

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:28 AM

I like the Moose HD plate. Probably the same as all the others. Big, covers the waterpump and stator cover. Holes drilled in the sideplates. Don't get anything skimpy.

• pammy

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Isnt' the stock one just plactic...more commonly referred to as a "Splash-plate?" :cry:

• qadsan

Posted December 22, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Isnt' the stock one just plactic...more commonly referred to as a "Splash-plate?" :cry:

"Splash-plate?" :cry: :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted December 22, 2004 - 08:50 AM

Pammy, the stocker is plastic. There was a guy on one of the other threads saying don't waste your money on an aftermarket plate. Well, I'd have to think that the picture tells the story!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Haymaker

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:56 PM

Does the other guy have an address? I'll trade him my twice cracked cases (stock plate) for his good ones!

Plastic maybe be good for a motard, but other than that you might as well install a handle and use it for a shovel when you get the pig stuck!

E

• JackAttack

Posted December 22, 2004 - 05:09 PM

I love the stock skid plate. I will admit that mine is pretty well thrashed. I have no damage to my bike. I like the way it glides over rocks. Believe me, I ride in nothing but rocks.

If you cracked your case "twice", I would have to say that you are the problem more than the skid-plate.

:cry:

• BoZerk

Posted December 22, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Pammy, the stocker is plastic. There was a guy on one of the other threads saying don't waste your money on an aftermarket plate. Well, I'd have to think that the picture tells the story!

HA, Ha that's kinda funny...not about your busted cases...but I was probably the guy saying don't waste your money.

I like the stock plate and didn't really see a point of upgrading...until now. If I have to buy a new one I might as well upgrade.

If you think about it, the plate did it's job. The frame under the missing piece looks in good shape.

• jws

Posted December 22, 2004 - 08:35 PM

i picked up the one baja designs sells :cry:

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 23, 2004 - 12:18 PM

I love the stock skid plate. I will admit that mine is pretty well thrashed. I have no damage to my bike. I like the way it glides over rocks. Believe me, I ride in nothing but rocks.

If you cracked your case "twice", I would have to say that you are the problem more than the skid-plate.

:cry:

I'm with you JA. I use the stock skid plate and replace it when the part that covers the frame rails deteriorates. Probably replace it 3 times a year. No biggie.

It works great, protects what it needs to protect and glides when it needs to glide.

Rather replace it every now and then instead of deal with the "anchor-effect" that alu. skid plates have on the 650r. Not to mention the fact that the alu. skid plates reflect noise and add un nec. weight.

But whatever floats your boat, if you think you need something more down there go for it. From what I've found, the plastic plate does the job.

• BoZerk

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:57 PM

Well, I was pretty much sold an an aftermarket skid plate but I ordered a new stock one from service honda for about half the price of the white brothers plate.

I always liked the stock plate and thought it did a good job anyways, but I guess it was mainly the price that made the final decision.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 10:10 PM

Moose is a very good product, lines up well, holes drilled for cooling and real strong.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.