Using the clutch when shifting

5 replies to this topic
  • cgaluter

Posted December 21, 2004 - 02:56 PM

Is it true that when shifting the YZ450 or any other MX bike, the clutch is not really needed? If it is needed, is it for downshifting or upshifting? When I want to change gears from 2nd to 3rd, do I have to back-off the throttle to upshift if the clutch is not used? How about from 3rd to 2nd? I do know that shifting to first, the clutch is needed.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 21, 2004 - 03:47 PM

Is it true that when shifting the YZ450 or any other MX bike, the clutch is not really needed? If it is needed, is it for downshifting or upshifting? When I want to change gears from 2nd to 3rd, do I have to back-off the throttle to upshift if the clutch is not used? How about from 3rd to 2nd? I do know that shifting to first, the clutch is needed.

Well this has been debated here for a long time - I am a firm believer that clutch use is clutch abuse on the 426 and 450 - I do not care about 2strokes ....
I use the clutch on starts - occasionally in turns - I try to let off the gas as I shift w/o the clutch but sometimes I dont - I do downsift w/o clutch in air and on the ground just not from 9000rpms - if you understand...I have never had the first issue with eccessive clutch wear or tranny issues -

others will argue against this .....thats is their opinion...I have tried it both ways - I prefer my way :cry:

• Wyatt

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:53 PM

I shift without the clutch all of the time. I rarely do it under full power...I use a little clutch then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted December 21, 2004 - 09:44 PM

I'm in the no clutch group. I use it on the start and when braking hard. That's about it. I used to use the clutch for shifting all the time, even though I knew lots of people don't. I figured what the heck, it can't hurt to use it. I stopped using it when I found it really helped reduce my arm pump. Less flexing of the clutch finger(s) did a lot to reduce my hand and arm fatigue. So far I've seen no adverse affect on the clutch or the tranny. I do let off the gas for just a second when I shift though. Seems like shifting under load still isn't the best for your transmission.

• RacerDad

Posted December 21, 2004 - 09:51 PM

I almost never use the clutch except for starts and when cornering to prevent stalling in some cases, other than that I'm pretty much a no clutch guy. Don't know if thats a bad thing or not, but I haven't had any problems so far.

• Davidyz450

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:16 PM

dido on the no clutch. Only on starts and turns and sometimes in the air that's about it for me. I always let off on the gas when I shift.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.