storing bike

7 replies to this topic
  • bluerider450

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:19 AM

since im storing my bike for a couple months should i set it on a stand or does it not matter

• Fulltilt3

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:42 AM

I would think putting it on a stand would be better for the suspension than leaving it under it's own weight. Just my opinion, not an expert by any means.

• SureBlue

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:59 AM

I agree, always better. I would also drain all the fuel and kick it to compression so that the valves are not open to take off the valve spring tension.

• yz400fl1

Posted December 21, 2004 - 11:15 AM

Good advise Blue. I never thought about the valve springs!

As for the suspension I really don't think It will hurt it to leave it on its wheels but I do it anyway.

Spray silicon on anything that is rubber

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snakeoil

Posted December 21, 2004 - 12:21 PM

If you don't want to mess with draining your tank, you add some stuff called stabil to your tank and then run it for a couple minutes. It is guaranteed to keep your fule fresh and will even help clean up your carb. :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted December 21, 2004 - 03:53 PM

I agree, always better. I would also drain all the fuel and kick it to compression so that the valves are not open to take off the valve spring tension.

I agree:
I prefer to drain all gas & most importantly - remove floatbowl drain 17mm and completly drain - and let air dry - Keeps carb from gumming up

Forget the fuel stabilizer........why use crappy 2mo old gas.... :cry:

I would use the stand as concrete causes flat spots - dry rot

• yz007f

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Also another good tip is leaving your gas cap off if your gonna drain your fuel. It will help your tank decals not to peal and bubble.

• Butta

Posted December 22, 2004 - 07:59 PM

When I've been on deployment in the past, I've had the tanks filled with Stabil-ized fuel (I run the bikes with Stabil in them all the time now), taken the plug out and poured about a capful of Marvel's Mystery Oil (it's ashless when it burns, so the first start will burn clean) in the cylinder, sprayed the metal parts with a protectant, put it on a center stand and cover it with a breathable cover (so humidity doesn't collect). Works like a champ for me!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.