Grey Wire ?

11 replies to this topic
  • mike250kx

Posted December 20, 2004 - 11:48 PM

I've disconnected the grey wire and the bike runs great. However, one of the Yamaha dealers out here in Nevada told me I can over rev and damage the motor. Does disconnecting the grey wire completly remove the rev limiter or does it just allow it to rev a little higher like a YZ ? This is a 2005 WR450. Thanks for any info.

• skeener2

Posted December 21, 2004 - 12:25 AM

Check thumperfaq.com

From what I read it just switchws to a different fuel/air map. That will allow a lot better power. But I believe it said the limiter is still in place.

• BURLEY

Posted December 21, 2004 - 04:51 AM

Check thumperfaq.com

From what I read it just switchws to a different fuel/air map. That will allow a lot better power. But I believe it said the limiter is still in place.

This is correct. The grey wire has nothing to do with the rev-limiter. Just changes the mapping to YZ spec. Your dealer in Nevada must have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

• JCTDF

Posted December 21, 2004 - 04:36 PM

Just a heads up. My dealer also highly recommeded not removing the gray wire for possible engine damage and emission reasons. So I did what any other motor head craving more performance and power would do, I removed it, and what a difference. I love it.

• mike250kx

Posted December 21, 2004 - 04:37 PM

Thanks guys !

• BURLEY

Posted December 21, 2004 - 04:51 PM

Just a heads up. My dealer also highly recommeded not removing the gray wire for possible engine damage and emission reasons. So I did what any other motor head craving more performance and power would do, I removed it, and what a difference. I love it.

Engine damage? I asked a couple of dealers about the "free mods" and one of tem said he didn't KNOW anything about them!!! I think they may be encouraged to "discourage" the public. It's ridiculous. These bikes are a joke all choked up. Dealers USED to help you get the most out of your dirtbike. They wanted you to be happy with it and come back for more. IT'S ALL POLITICS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:52 PM

Engine damage? I asked a couple of dealers about the "free mods" and one of tem said he didn't KNOW anything about them!!! I think they may be encouraged to "discourage" the public. It's ridiculous. These bikes are a joke all choked up. Dealers USED to help you get the most out of your dirtbike. They wanted you to be happy with it and come back for more. IT'S ALL POLITICS.

are you guys serious.

My bike always runs better after an oil change, and after i wash it it gains 3 HP.

The grey wire makes you bike run better cause you want your bike to run better.

But in reality you are just cutting through insulation and copper.

IT is a myth.

But hey, to each his own.

Wire it up to a switch to see if it really makes a difference.

Take it and get it dynoed with and without. you will see.

Good luck

• bottomfeeder2

Posted December 22, 2004 - 06:13 PM

My dealer actually cut the trottle screw before I picked mine up. I wouldn't have known about it if he hadn't told me about it. I can't say enough good things about that dealer (LA Yamaha).

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted December 23, 2004 - 10:01 PM

in a word NO you will not over rev the motor . rev limiter still does it's job !

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 11, 2005 - 09:10 PM

Rode the new 04 wr450 a little bit, cruising on the street, and yes is slightly stutters/surges around the 1/4 throttle just like my 00 did. Yes I will cut the GREY WIRE, and yes I am positive this tiny stutter/surge will go away. The Grey Wire cutting does work to solve this problem and is not a myth like some think.

Now I dont believe it adds a noticable difference in power across the board or changes the power delivery characteristics.

• Treebanger

Posted January 12, 2005 - 06:53 AM

My Dealer did both Grey wire and throttle stop and I'm postive that the yz map wakes the bike up and gives it better throttle response. That does not mean it making more horses . It funny people have no problem believing a engine can be hopped up but have trouble accepting that Yamaha might detune the WR. Pull the Grey wire if you won't to give you bike a wakeup call.

• mousemeat

Posted January 12, 2005 - 07:40 AM

Rode the new 04 wr450 a little bit, cruising on the street, and yes is slightly stutters/surges around the 1/4 throttle just like my 00 did. Yes I will cut the GREY WIRE, and yes I am positive this tiny stutter/surge will go away. The Grey Wire cutting does work to solve this problem and is not a myth like some think.

Now I dont believe it adds a noticable difference in power across the board or changes the power delivery characteristics.

Removing grey wire might not do it. You might want to remove the TPS.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.