YZ / WR 426 whats the difference

13 replies to this topic
  • jn2jhavens

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:45 PM

What are the differences between the 02 YZ426 and the WR426 other than the wide ratio transmission?

• mousemeat

Posted December 21, 2004 - 12:32 AM

free modded wr has a milder cam, heavier more restrictive exhaust, 18 inch rear wheel, radiator puke bottle and a lighting coil in addition to all the obvious stuff. The gearbox is the trickiest thing to swap across, everything else is relatively easy.

• tp3dxf

Posted December 21, 2004 - 02:39 AM

Suspension is tuned for MX on the YZ. The spring rates may be different. Not sure.

As far as cams go and I may be wrong here but I think they are the same. I believe it's the cam timing that is different. It's a simple cam adjustment and you will have the YZ hit on the WR426.

The YZ has a smaller gas tank also the WR has a reserve position on the fuel petcock. The 01 YZ 426 doesn't have one.

The YZ has an aluminum rear subframe.

The WR426 has a throttle screw that won't allow full throttle. Replace it with a YZ fuel throttle screw and you can open the carb up all the way! Or you can cut the stocker if you know the specs and have a good steady hand and cutting tool.

The YZ has a totally different tank and seat combo. It's slimmer and allows a better position over the front of the bike. You can get a large capicity tank 3.2 gallons that has the same shape up front but you'll need to get a YZ seat to run this tank. The WR seat won't fit it. It's a great upgrade.

There is more I just can't remember at the moment. Exhaust system on the WR is forest approved not so on the YZ. Rear wheel is 18' on WR 19" on YZ.

The best thing about the WR for just fun trail riding is it comes with a good kick stand installed stock. The YZ has no stock kick stand.

What have I missed I know there is way more.

• SXP

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Rear wheel is 18' on WR 19" on YZ.

18 ft - Holy Cow :cry:

Hey - We had a great ride at Gorman yesterday - shouda come :cry:

• Hamish

Posted December 21, 2004 - 12:30 PM

As far as cams go and I may be wrong here but I think they are the same. I believe it's the cam timing that is different. It's a simple cam adjustment and you will have the YZ hit on the WR426.

Yep, thats correct. Retard the exhaust cam one tooth and off you go :cry:

• lewichris

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:56 PM

free modded wr has a milder cam, heavier more restrictive exhaust, 18 inch rear wheel, radiator puke bottle and a lighting coil in addition to all the obvious stuff. The gearbox is the trickiest thing to swap across, everything else is relatively easy.

Milder cam?

i have never heard that one before. Please show me somewhere on the web where it tells me this.

Thanks.

• lewichris

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:57 PM

Yep, thats correct. Retard the exhaust cam one tooth and off you go :cry:

Yes i concour.

I really liked the change.

Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 23, 2004 - 01:37 AM

Have you got the Part Number for the YZ Throttle Screw Please ???

• Math

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:33 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the alu subframe came on the YZs before 2003 and the 450f. Which should mean that all YZ426f have a steel subframe...

• mulisha00

Posted July 02, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Just to bring this back to life. Does the yz airbox look like it had a lid on it? I just picked up a 426? that says yz on it (fenders) everything appears to be stock but it has a reserve petcock on it. What is one sure fire way I can make sure someone didn't convert this bike over besides the VIN? :) :)

• firezwr426

Posted July 02, 2005 - 06:53 PM

the wr is a 5 speed.... the yzf is a 4 speed I think.. :) but never the less it is easier and less expensive to get the yz qualities out of the wr than vice versa....

• FZ1426

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:21 PM

My 01 yz's got an aluminum subframe, and the airbox looks as if it's the same as a wr with provisions for a lid.

• mulisha00

Posted July 03, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Yeah mine has the airbox with the provisions for the lid too. Also it has the reserve petcock on it. I was just thinking that maybe this guy tried to switch it around on me. Anyway the bike is a dream to ride as it sits.

• Sylvain

Posted July 03, 2005 - 11:24 AM

the wr is a 5 speed.... the yzf is a 4 speed I think.. :) but never the less it is easier and less expensive to get the yz qualities out of the wr than vice versa....

2002 YZ was also a 5 speeder :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.