making the WR road capable?

33 replies to this topic
  • vash

Posted December 20, 2004 - 05:06 PM

Is this possible?
Can the engine be retuned to give less power, more teeth for less revs? what is it that kills the WR from long term road use?
I love this style of bike, the TTR doesnt match it, and i want to use it on the road.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:55 PM

The WR does not like long street rides.
Low oil capacity, non cushioned rear hub, no electric fan cooling for radiator at stop light conditions, carburation is not designed for steady throttle street type riding, rear and front brakes are weak for street application riding.
Gearing is too low for street riding even if you go 15/48 sprockets. The transmission gears are too light duty for street riding.
Oil changes are need frequently ( every 200 miles) as well as refreshing the oil in the air filter weekly.

• nitronaf

Posted February 23, 2009 - 06:33 AM

My wr450 supermoto is my daily ride. i ride it everywhere.
Bought it brand new in 2006

500 - 800 km oil changes depending on agression of riding (have stretched to 1000 on a few ocassions while strictly commuting)
Oil Filter change every 2nd oil change and Air filter clean
approximately 20,000 KM of commuting and hooliganism fun through mountains (has had 3 different speedos on it im lazy to add them all up)
Valve inspections every 3 oil changes

Valve adjustments so far have been none

Mods/parts that influence reliability:
Completely derestricted
Gearing 15/42 (barely power wheelies in 2nd :lol:, cruises 80kmh 5th gear)
vortex ignition (11500 Redline)
twin air filter + alloy cage
FMF 4.1 slip on
Fluidyne Radiators
Motul oil
Motul coolant

Problems so far:

-Coolant leaking from waterpump weap hole indicating impeller shaft seal needs replacing.

-Climbing idle at a stop when oil is getting old

PS I have an backside of iron now

• jams229

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:28 AM

One recommendation, if you do decide to ride on the road a lot:
disconnect the TPS. The stutter/hesitation at 50-60 mph, if you have one, will drive you nuts.

• roberts189

Posted February 23, 2009 - 09:02 AM

I braught my WR a cupla months ago and it already had the excel supermotos on with a smaller rear sprocket (cant remember exact size). Iv changed the oil regulary since iv owned it n its been fine, not all that comfertable but I dont go on long journeys.

The nobblies I got with it were brand new so im not entirely sure how much offroad use the bikes had, my guess is not alot but now I think its scared of the track because it seems to throw a wobly evertime I go and then be fine when I get home?? lol

• nitronaf

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:37 AM

One recommendation, if you do decide to ride on the road a lot:
disconnect the TPS. The stutter/hesitation at 50-60 mph, if you have one, will drive you nuts.

yes i agree the stutter is extremely annoying for street.
i fixed this by installing a vortex ignition and setting it to map 07

• vash

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:07 AM

wow this was a thread dig up :lol:
FYI, even 5 years on since i made this post, i still havent bought a WR450F but i think the time is coming

they sure seem reliable enough.

• BigVthumper

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:21 PM

Why the need to unhook the TPS?

• jams229

Posted February 24, 2009 - 02:07 PM

The TPS causes a stutter at cruising speeds of 50 - 60 mph. Annoying as hell when you are on the road. Disconnecting it will solve that problem.

• zorroz

Posted February 24, 2009 - 02:28 PM

My wr450 supermoto is my daily ride. i ride it everywhere.
Bought it brand new in 2006

500 - 800 km oil changes depending on agression of riding (have stretched to 1000 on a few ocassions while strictly commuting)
Oil Filter change every 2nd oil change and Air filter clean
approximately 20,000 KM of commuting and hooliganism fun through mountains (has had 3 different speedos on it im lazy to add them all up)
Valve inspections every 3 oil changes

Valve adjustments so far have been none

Mods/parts that influence reliability:
Completely derestricted
Gearing 15/42 (barely power wheelies in 2nd :lol:, cruises 80kmh 5th gear)
vortex ignition (11500 Redline)
twin air filter + alloy cage
FMF 4.1 slip on
Fluidyne Radiators
Motul oil
Motul coolant
Problems so far:

-Coolant leaking from waterpump weap hole indicating impeller shaft seal needs replacing.

-Climbing idle at a stop when oil is getting old

PS I have an backside of iron now

+1 for another aussie who rides his WR450F on the road and never had a problem after 10,000km. I just don't understand why people say they are no good. If they can survive on hell of a thrashing in the bush, surely they can handle commuting riding normally. 1000km oil changes still sounds like new :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRX350

Posted February 24, 2009 - 02:31 PM

You don't need a cush hub either, they are way over rated. My bike has almost 30k miles of street and dirt and never had any issues with the tranny.

• Eliems

Posted February 24, 2009 - 02:56 PM

My WR450 is an absolute blast in the traffic! Zipping down the lines, hopping over the curbs and dividers, wheelies throught the intersections and amazing acceleration leaving the cars far behind in the mirror.

Zero issues in several thousand miles.

For hopping around the neighborhood it is hard to beat but the fun really begins when the pavement ends. We have great mountain trails and forestry roads right above my part of town so it is great to be able to ride the roads and on to the trails for some wilderness time.

Blue rules! I always transfer the insurance to the Harley in April with some sadness, (although not too much sadness).

Posted Image

• Zadok

Posted February 24, 2009 - 02:57 PM

wow this was a thread dig up :lol:
FYI, even 5 years on since i made this post, i still havent bought a WR450F but i think the time is coming

they sure seem reliable enough.

This IS an old thread.....but why are you taking so long to decide?
I was taking grief over on the dual sport forum because I kept
thinking about going from a WR250R to a WR450F.....and I was only
debating for about 6 months. Finally bought one. Great bike.

• vash

Posted February 24, 2009 - 03:47 PM

I've bought several bikes since then.
I'm on an XR650R now which is close to a do it all,but the suspension is really horrible and its heavy in the tight stuff. not to mention kick only.

but i still do long trips and ride to work every day and can only afford one bike.

seeing the guys do 30,000 miles before rebuilds sounds really promising actually. my issue was the longevity.
how hard is it to change the oil? since i'd be doing it every 2 weeks.

• acarter92

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:52 PM

I've bought several bikes since then.
I'm on an XR650R now which is close to a do it all,but the suspension is really horrible and its heavy in the tight stuff. not to mention kick only.

but i still do long trips and ride to work every day and can only afford one bike.

seeing the guys do 30,000 miles before rebuilds sounds really promising actually. my issue was the longevity.
how hard is it to change the oil? since i'd be doing it every 2 weeks.

Doing it every two weeks you'll get pretty fast at it. Just an oil change and no filter I can do in maybe 15-20 min. Changing the oil filter too it usually takes me about 30-45 min because I have to loosen my header to get to the filter and I usually clean the strainer in the frame tank too.

On the dirt the wr will be a dream compared to the xr, but although I love my wr I don't think it'll be as nice for the road as the xr (which is made for the road more than dirt). Maybe if you do a lot of mods to the wr it'll be nice on the road, but then it won't be the same bike in the dirt. I guess it just comes down to what you'd rather have. A bike the rides dirt really nice and road ok, or a bike that rides road nice and dirt ok.

Austin

• roberts189

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:08 AM

Does anyone know what the symtoms of the gearbox problems are that are meant to develop from too much road use and steady riding?

• rufusz

Posted February 26, 2009 - 05:38 AM

Does anyone know what the symtoms of the gearbox problems are that are meant to develop from too much road use and steady riding?

I don't believe steady riding would cause any issues. Usually the dogs wear on the moving gears and thus throwing it out of speed (first simptom - starts with 5th gear).
There are thus some things to taken into account : on mud/gravel you don't get so much resistance (friction) on the back tire, that means the force when shifting is less. But you shift a lot, ride the bike harder, shift back-forth fast, at high revs, without clutch. On road, if you ride "steady", shift with clutch, shift at the right revs, no problems. But when you start to race it, or ride it harder, because the back tire has more traction on pavement (more friction) the forces on the tranny gears are larger.
I have an 02 YZ426F SM, and the only problem is I can't ride steady. Seriously, if I ride steady, and accelerate to shift up and shift, it seems like the next gear is too low :lol: If I launch from slow speed, pull hard, shift fast it runs like a dream.

• roberts189

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:50 AM

Good advice thanx, Il bare that in mind when im next on the road

• Pipefitter317

Posted March 07, 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have a chance to get a good deal on supermoto rims for my 2007 WR450. The rims are for a YZ450F, is there any way to make it where the speedo will still work? After maker part or something? This is really the only thing keeping me from buying the rims.... so please if you know how to get it done please let me know.

• MaxPower

Posted March 07, 2009 - 10:27 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Buy a vapor speedometer.It will work with a magnetic pickup.
They are small and cheap.[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.