wr450 v. clapped CR500 in the sand

25 replies to this topic
  • jwriott

Posted December 21, 2004 - 09:17 AM

My WR426 railed in the sand once I stiffened the front and softened up the rear. You really need to stay on the gas and make wider, sweeping turns keeping your speed up. Like others said, don't back off on the throttle and engine brake into the corners since it makes the front end dive and plow. A good front tire also does wonders. I also tend to sit back a little farther and let the front float a little. This also helps you get traction on acceleration.

I'd also clean my airfilter everyday when riding in the sand and don't lube the chain with chain lube. Use something more like Triflow or WD40 since sand sticks all over and chews up the drive components.

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:05 AM

You guys rock thanks for the feedback. It's a trial and error type thing I guess, which I figured. This all may be a mute point considering the frustration of Sunday and the fact the sand is chewing up my bike. I took the rear tire off and couldnt believe how much sand goes in and around the axle. I'm sure burying the rear into the sand to use it as a kick stand didn't help that much but whatever, it's just a bike :cry:

The funny thing is how my father in law is ignoring my constant pressures for him to change his oil. He bought the bike in early October and hasnt changed the oil once. I'm guessing he's put a good 20 hours on the engine...whatever, it's his engine.

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 21, 2004 - 01:49 PM

You see that is the thing 4 strokes are better in some ways and 2 strokes are better in some. I am 300 lbs and in sugar sand here in Florida i take the CRf 450 chassses and put a CR 500 motor in it and that works for me. Sand requires alot of torque and power and the open 2 strokes are still the best at sand. There is no perfect bike it depends on conditions. If you want a bad ass ride for sand put a CR 500 motor in it or a KX 500 motor. I am doing a 2005 CRF 500 2 stroke as I type this.

I know a good thing when I see it, I have 8 CR 500 motors and they are going to be gold. The open 2 strokes are more powerful and more reliable and thats a homerun in my book.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MORETORQUE

Posted December 21, 2004 - 04:59 PM

I'll start out by saying 'No, I'm not gonna sell my WR and get a CR 500'. I spent all day yesterday out in the sand and needless to say it was a long day. I was with a couple quads and I was the only bike.. :cry: My bike just will not handle at all, the front end feels like it's gonna wash out any time I turn a bit. On top of that at the top of 3rd gear I get into a pretty nasty tank slapper(Sag issue or is this just what happens on a bike in the sand?).

After getting stuck pretty badly I let one of the "quad guys" attempt to get me unstuck. Keep in mind this guy was on an early 80's 2-smoke and as far as I know has never been on a 4 stroke. He hopped right on, well, not really it was kinda tall for him :cry:, and attempted a quick second gear start out of the trees and up the sandy steep hill. He made it no further than I did so I thought that was a good thing. He told me if it was his bike he'd take a match to it and burn it. Uh, I don't think so.

We got back to the truck and he unloaded his CR500 and let me take it for a ride. This thing railed through sand like I had imagined my WR would, I could tip the nose in the sand and turn pretty quickly. It made me realize that I'm not a horrible rider but that my WR sux in the sand.

Anybody have some good advice on what I can do to my bike? It isn't a power thing so please no "Buy a JD kit it did wonders for me" comments, I know it's a good kit but it's the least of my worries. I'm running an 8 paddle tire and have the compression\rebound clicked out 2 in the front and 3 in the rear, is that too tight?

Sorry for the ramble. As things are right now I'm not heading back to the sand and will be sticking to the trails until I get something figured out. I know it's possible cause I saw a YZ 450 out there ripping it up. Thanks for any advice :cry:

For duning the best 500 CR Honda ever made were the 87 N 88 MODELS i WILL TAKE ONE OF THOSE OVER MY crf cr 500 FOR THAT. The KX 500 is good as well but not as reliable. A 87 or 88 with modern forks put on them would be about the best thing ever the bike has a long wheel base and you can lean it over in like 5th gear going 70 MPH and it will just flat track in a circle with out high siding a real neat ride. I would not dare try that on my CRF CR 500. And the rear end works great to a real bump eater! Alot of people do not realize Honda went backwards for alot of years trying to make supercross only bikes!

• simica

Posted December 21, 2004 - 10:13 PM

I agree with dez4ever. Stay out of the sand or buy a quad. Before I got my new WR450, I had a 96 WR 250 2 stroke that I bought from a guy who rode it in the dunes near San Diego. I tell people that I didn't buy this bike, I "rescued" it from being destroyed in sand. The bike is now up to my standards and runs great. If I had my way, I'd keep it as well as my new 4 stroke. But its for sale!

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:54 AM

I agree with dez4ever. Stay out of the sand or buy a quad. Before I got my new WR450, I had a 96 WR 250 2 stroke that I bought from a guy who rode it in the dunes near San Diego. I tell people that I didn't buy this bike, I "rescued" it from being destroyed in sand. The bike is now up to my standards and runs great. If I had my way, I'd keep it as well as my new 4 stroke. But its for sale!

Boy that sounds like alot of fun, that is why they are called dirt bike's you know that sand stuff that makes up the upper surface of our planet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.