Which for tight woods race, XR400 or WR400

9 replies to this topic
  • MrBlahh

Posted December 20, 2004 - 04:48 AM

I have a 97 XR400 with 440 kit & pumper

and a 98 WR400 with 444 kit

I cant decided which I should race for SETRA

I raced the WR400 twice, but I'm very slow in the woods on it, getting passed all the time, it's quite a bit of bike.

The XR400 may be better, I've never tried, I use it as a dualsport

any sugestions?

My biggest problem is falling to the inside on left hand turns, the WR is so heavy it's hard to get going again, saps all my energy

I ordered a YZ seat & tank, that should help, but the XR400 is known as a great woods machine

are the xr's that great? I cant decide help!

Probably taking it to Durhamtown to try on the red trails this weekend

• Bamster

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:03 AM

Get a WR 250.

The tank and seat will help ,also raise your fork tubes in the tripple clamps (lowering the front end) Try a smaller front sprocket. Sounds like your sitting down too much,stand up.

• MrBlahh

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:46 AM

I want a wr250 bad, but the wallet does not agree with me

I ordered a YZ tank & seat, and I have the bars up some, I had planned on raising a little more.

I'm scared going down on the front sprocket, I have 1 up right now from stock, and I spin out way too much already, the back end is all over

I sit in turns, and put inside foot out, should I try standing in turns?

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted December 20, 2004 - 07:13 AM

Yes stand up in the corners. You might have it geared to high. Bigger sprocket=higher speeds= more wheel spin=less control. Take it back to a 14 and see what happens. You may find 1st to be too low but you can always run in second. My shift lever went south one day at Stonyford and I just put it in second and was pretty much able to ride all the trails without any problems.

• MrBlahh

Posted December 20, 2004 - 07:45 AM

I always run higher gearing in mud/snow/slick stuff

that's why I left one extra tooth up front, if I gear down I'll have even more torque breaking traction

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted December 20, 2004 - 12:55 PM

I always run higher gearing in mud/snow/slick stuff

that's why I left one extra tooth up front, if I gear down I'll have even more torque breaking traction

That only works if you have so much traction to begin with to put drag on the wheel. You reach a point where you actually get more wheel spin with taller gearing. With lower gearing, you have more torque BUT you must rev higher to get the same wheel speed. This allows you to more easily control wheel spin.

• don319

Posted December 20, 2004 - 03:25 PM

I ride with a guy on an XR 400. I have an 02 WR426. He's faster than me in the woods. It ain't the bike, it's the rider.

• jhteneyck

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:06 PM

I ride with a guy on an XR 400. I have an 02 WR426. He's faster than me in the woods. It ain't the bike, it's the rider.

Aint it the truth!! I have both an XR400 and a WR450 - I am faster on the 450 for sure!! I have also learned to stand up more, feather the clutch better and just trust both myself and the machine. It is all time in the saddle but the WR makes more power, it just comes down to getting the power to the ground and being able to handle it. Good luck in the race. :cry:

• MrBlahh

Posted December 20, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I realize it's not the bike it's the rider

but I cant decide which bike is better, the suspension alone makes me want to stay on the WR, it's so much better

but I cant turn it like the XR

• lewichris

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:33 AM

I have a 97 XR400 with 440 kit & pumper

and a 98 WR400 with 444 kit

I cant decided which I should race for SETRA

I raced the WR400 twice, but I'm very slow in the woods on it, getting passed all the time, it's quite a bit of bike.

The XR400 may be better, I've never tried, I use it as a dualsport

any sugestions?

My biggest problem is falling to the inside on left hand turns, the WR is so heavy it's hard to get going again, saps all my energy

I ordered a YZ seat & tank, that should help, but the XR400 is known as a great woods machine

are the xr's that great? I cant decide help!

Probably taking it to Durhamtown to try on the red trails this weekend

XR's are heavier then WR's are. If your getting passed on the wr your going to get passed on the XR also. the wr is just that much better of a bike.

My .02

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.