Baja Design Kit for 05WR

15 replies to this topic
  • timcook

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:35 PM

I finished installing the dualsport kit from Baja Designs on my 05WR450F. I don't want to slam these guys too bad..........but I had numerous problems with this kit. :cry: :cry: I don't think they have considered the changes to the 05 such as the new AIS valve and the relocation of the rectifier. I'm sure it's fine for bike produced prior to 04. The tech guys have been helpful and I am going to email them some photos.
Curious if anyone has or is planning to install one of their kits on an 05? :cry:

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:55 PM

I don't think I will be installing one of their kits now that dual sporting a bike in CA is SUPPOSED to be forbidden. Baja Designs is right up the road from me, I went to pick up one of their baffles, saw it was not going to work and the guy gave me an "oh well" sort of an answer and went off to do something else. It seems most everything is different on the 05. I hope the aftermarket company's get geared up for it soon.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:50 PM

I have heard so many issues with Baja Designs kits being engineered poorly and their pathetic service. I also had issues with an order I placed that took 4 months to complete. Never gave them a chance to do that to me again! :cry: I don't know how they stay in business. :cry:

• timcook

Posted December 19, 2004 - 09:04 PM

They pretty much monopolize this part of the market. I should of known how the install was going to go when I opened the directions and saw nothing but pictures of a WR400?????????

• timcook

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:20 AM

OK I spent part of yesterday on the phone again with the tech staff. He said they only had a half an hour to look at a 05. Seems like plenty of time to engineer a $400 kit??? :cry:
I emailed them photos of the problems I had and all I have received is a word document showing how the install instructions will look in the future for just one part of my problem. :cry:
The bottom line is if anyone is planning to install this on a 05WR be carefull! There are issuues with the wire harness, rectifier, horn and taillights!!!
I am sure it will take some time before the get their sh*t together and update the kit.
Maybe I brought enough attention to this that others wont have to go through the same crap! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:27 AM

You should have just bought a Trick Dual Sport kit! Superior design and it works flawlessly! Dale will give you GPS power port as well. Dale can customize it anyway you want. Send that stuff back if Baja Designs has the integrity to accept it as a return. :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:30 AM

What I do is, drive over to my friends house (Dale at Trickdualsport) have him put on his latest and greatest kit on your bike, drink all the beer in his fridge, ride his minis around his property and then go to lunch with him... Dale has an outstanding kit, I'm not saying that because he's a friend but I've seen all the kits and his is SUPER trick, lightweight and CLEAN.... If you don't live in Socal he could always ship it to you quick..... All the kits are in stock and you'll get excellent service from the guy... The guys at Bajadesigns are GREAT people!!!! No doubt.... Great for our sport and guys that really ride, but Dale has the better product.. (in my opinion)..

Dan

• BadlandZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:42 AM

OK I spent part of yesterday on the phone again with the tech staff. He said they only had a half an hour to look at a 05. Seems like plenty of time to engineer a $400 kit??? :cry:
I emailed them photos of the problems I had and all I have received is a word document showing how the install instructions will look in the future for just one part of my problem. :cry:
The bottom line is if anyone is planning to install this on a 05WR be carefull! There are issuues with the wire harness, rectifier, horn and taillights!!!
I am sure it will take some time before the get their sh*t together and update the kit.
Maybe I brought enough attention to this that others wont have to go through the same crap! :cry:

I put the kit on my '04, and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't go with them. I wouldn't go with any kit, I would just get the parts from various places and do it all myself. But, when I finally finished the install, I just kept it.

Plus, you in AZ, right? You don't need to do nearly as much as you would think :cry:

In the beginning, I didn't know exactly what I was doing, or where to start. I learned a lot installing the kit. In the end, I was unhappy about a lot of the way they designed the kit, mostly the "dc only" switch that put the headlight on the DC and reduced it to 35/35 watt. I've actually considered tearing most of the kit back out, and doing it differently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbarnes

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:02 AM

I put this kit on in 98 and had no problems, maybe it's the same one they are selling today :cry: I'm in Calif. and just got an AZ plate this time (they mailed to my Cal address) for the 05 since the rules have changed here now and it's harder/impossible to get a plate. Just curious, why did you get the Baja kit for an AZ bike, I was told all I needed to do was have the brake light working, a mirror and a horn and it's good to go.

• BadlandZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:10 AM

Just curious, why did you get the Baja kit for an AZ bike, I was told all I needed to do was have the brake light working, a mirror and a horn and it's good to go.

I did it based on bad rumors and peer pressure. I was told it was going to be soo hard to get a plate, and I had to have DOT tires, the inspector was going to be really critical, etc...

I learned the hard way that wasn’t true. Getting the plate was really not that bad. I’ll know next time!

• timcook

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:51 AM

While it is true in AZ you do not need turnsignals. I wanted them for the safety part of it. I feel letting others know your intent while on pavement is not a bad thing. The state only requires a high/low headlamp, break/running taillamp, mirror, horn, and plate light.
I thought it would be nice to be able to jump on pavement if I need to.
How ironic is now after buying this I find Trickdualsport???

• RichBaker

Posted December 23, 2004 - 09:17 AM

I put this kit on in 98 and had no problems, maybe it's the same one they are selling today :cry: I'm in Calif. and just got an AZ plate this time (they mailed to my Cal address) for the 05 since the rules have changed here now and it's harder/impossible to get a plate. Just curious, why did you get the Baja kit for an AZ bike, I was told all I needed to do was have the brake light working, a mirror and a horn and it's good to go.

If you ride at night, you'll also need a license plate light. I still don't have a horn on mine, but I rarely use it on my FJ so I doubt I'll mount one. AZ is a great state for bikers!! :cry:

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:10 PM

Man, sorry about your '05 issues. It's too bad you had to be the one to get burned on this. What I don't understand is how guys with an '04 had any problems installing the kit. I ordered the kit (Yes, it's over priced and 'Yes' I saw the trick dual sport kit), got it in the mail 4 days later and had it installed in 2 nights. Everything worked as explained and after getting the stator back from being 'ground' it started right up. I've put over 200 miles on the bike now and have had no issues. I agree that their directions are poor but if you take a look at what you're doing it's pretty easy to figure out a work around. At least that was my take on it :cry: Only issue I had was with the horn being mounted, still havent installed the damn thing.

Good luck. I'd see if you can return any of it and maybe look into the Trick Dual Sport kit. It'd be cheaper to get that at this point as opposed to dumping money and time into the Baja Kit. I'm sure there's some chump on Ebay who'll buy it.

• BadlandZ

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:25 PM

Only issue I had was with the horn being mounted, still havent installed the damn thing.

I ended up making my own horn bracket. The included one was pretty weak.

Tonight, I had some time to reflect. I would NEVER order a Baja Designs kit again for a modern full sized enduro (like a WR or XR). They already have tail lights, headlights, and the additional work is pretty minimal to make it legal, at least in my state.

However, I do want to say, I put their kit on my wife’s TT-R125LE, and it was worth every penny. I like that she has turn signals. The kit was a full package, and the instructions were clear. For that bike, I would do it again. So, I’m not totally unhappy with them as a company.

And, I did email for support, which I got within 24 hours. And they were helpful. And they offered to send out missing parts (just a bolt and washer) and address one short wire. I worked around the problems myself, but they were helpful. Lorrac Craig was the guy that helped most.

Now, I still have not finished fabricating a custom part to raise the hotstart lever up about 7mm to clear the light switch. But, I have made it work, it’s just ugly. I should post pictures when I get the part done.

• timcook

Posted December 25, 2004 - 06:10 PM

[quote name='r_dawg1021']Man, sorry about your '05 issues. It's too bad you had to be the one to get burned on this. What I don't understand is how guys with an '04 had any problems installing the kit. I ordered the kit (Yes, it's

Keep in mind that one of the changes to the 05 was to relocate the rectifier to the left side of the frame near the dip stick to make room for the AIS valve. The kit does not accomodate these changes to the 05 among other things.
Its on and it works as advertised.

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 26, 2004 - 09:59 AM

Keep in mind that one of the changes to the 05 was to relocate the rectifier to the left side of the frame near the dip stick to make room for the AIS valve. The kit does not accomodate these changes to the 05 among other things. Its on and it works as advertised.

I agree that's pretty lame of Baja to put a kit out that they havent done the R&D on. Most companies would rather put something out late than put something out that's wrong. Now that I thinnk of it, what does moving the rectifier do to that screws this all up? All I had to do was put their rectifier on and everything was good to go, it could've been on swing arm for all I care.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.