Best Handguards for a 05 wr450?

15 replies to this topic
  • pudadin

Posted December 19, 2004 - 12:20 PM

I just received a pair of Moose Racing handguards...they do not fit the 05 wr450...even though Moose said they would! Which hanguard is best (fit,ie little or no modification; and protection).

• Grandville

Posted December 19, 2004 - 04:40 PM

Check-out www.woodsblaster.com I have their single piece style on my WR and I think they are the best I have ever used after 25-years plus of riding.

• 450_James

Posted December 19, 2004 - 05:13 PM

I put on the Acerbis guards and they went on with no problem. They were specked for the 04 but they are a generic fit item really.

• Moondogger

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:27 PM

I have the Tusk D-Flex handguard with the aluminum insert. They fit perfectly and are only $50!

• mtrablue

Posted December 20, 2004 - 05:43 AM

what do you mean by "don't fit"? the renthal bars (aluminum in general) have a smaller inside diameter and an insert for aluminum bars has to be used. some guards come with a kit to fit all bars, some don't.

• pudadin

Posted December 20, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone! When I say that Moose does not fit....my Yam dealer agrees. There is no place to connect to the bars. The mounting hardware does fit the diameter of the bar but given the length of the guard there is not a place to mount the handguard without some custom work......

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 20, 2004 - 01:03 PM

Do you have the stock bars?

• brsmith

Posted December 20, 2004 - 03:35 PM

I used the cycra pro bend handguards with fastway topclamp mounts. Fit great, install in 20min. or so. Most guards require a little bending ect to make them go where you want them...thats part of it... Smitty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moondogger

Posted December 20, 2004 - 03:48 PM

My handguards do fit the stock Renthal handlebars, but it did take a little bending of the aluminum guard and re-routing of cables. I thought it was going to be easy, but they ended up taking a little while to install.

• chipwich

Posted December 20, 2004 - 04:30 PM

I've got Acerbis Rally Pros, but would probably go with the Cycra Pro bend if I ever replace them.

• brsmith

Posted December 20, 2004 - 05:22 PM

Whats nice about the cycra pro bend..If you have big hands, it gives you more room. I would get blisters on the side of my hands by my little finger from rubbing the hand guards. Not with the pro-bends.. :cry: ...smitty

• Johnny34

Posted December 20, 2004 - 09:50 PM

Check-out www.woodsblaster.com I have their single piece style on my WR and I think they are the best I have ever used after 25-years plus of riding.

Are you kidding? Those aren't hand guards, it's a battering ram!
Outta' my way!

Johnny

• DEZRCR

Posted December 21, 2004 - 05:30 AM

Cycra Pro Bends all the way! They fit just fine on the stock bars, but much better on set of 1-1/8" bars. The best cactus bashers I have owned.

• Grandville

Posted December 21, 2004 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandville

Are you kidding? Those aren't hand guards, it's a battering ram!
Outta' my way!

Johnny

Yea Johnny34,

You got a good point, some rider's use handguards on their bikes, I use a battering ram on my bike. :cry: I have always thought of it as kind of bike's SUV bumper. It's design does offer some unique advantages; the plastic flexes so it doesn't crack apart, The one piece design reinforces bar strength and protects expensive computer gadgets on the dash.

I think woodsblaster holds a patent on the one piece bar design and the gel padded underwear.

• Johnny34

Posted December 21, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Quote:
You got a good point, some rider's use handguards on their bikes, I use a battering ram on my bike. :cry: I have always thought of it as kind of bike's SUV bumper. It's design does offer some unique advantages; the plastic flexes so it doesn't crack apart, The one piece design reinforces bar strength and protects expensive computer gadgets on the dash.

I forgot to mention that I got the Acerbis Pro Rally 2's for like $62 bucks. They don't have the aluminum reinforcement like some of the other types mentioned here, but they look damn good. Plus the hand coverage from the deflector is larger than the previous rally model.

Johnny

:cry: SUV bumper, that's funny :cry:

• kirkw

Posted December 21, 2004 - 03:51 PM

One vote for Tuck D-Flex. I still got all my fingers! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.