Another Friday the XXth Ride!?

20 replies to this topic
  • PMAUST

Posted July 24, 2001 - 09:24 PM

Hey Ron and All, we are finally getting settled into our new house and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel at work. Except for riding my DRZS to and from work, I haven't had a good ride since Jesse and Brian came up and we did a grueling 47 mile ride in the George Town area. I really miss my WR400! Are you guys up for another go at it? How about sometime in August or September. Lets set a date. Let me know and I will plan for it. Just about anytime in mid to late August through September should be good. Also, I would really like to do Moab this year if anyone is interested. Preferably in October time frame. I will start another post about that. I have seen some interest form Cueball and others. Anyway, let me know. Thanks, Paul. :)

• JESSE123

Posted July 24, 2001 - 10:15 PM

Thank goodness for T.T. otherwise i would never get any news. :) By the way, you mind forwarding your new address and telephone number on to your kids. :D

• PMAUST

Posted July 25, 2001 - 05:51 AM

Oops! :) Jesse, you have mail!

• sirhk

Posted July 25, 2001 - 05:51 AM

I'm ready for another battle with dehydration. Let's set a date and I'll try my hardest to get it off. The sooner we decide the better for me. This time I'm bringing MORE WATER!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• gtms34

Posted July 25, 2001 - 07:08 AM

Me and XR Valdeez are ready when you are. Got new rims, tires, :) and a smaller gas tank :D.
See you on the trails,

Kevin

• Unkle_Moose

Posted July 25, 2001 - 07:45 AM

Hey Paul You still living in the NorCal area or did you move you south.

Tell your kids the reason you wont giv'em your new address is you dont want them moving back. :) Remember kids are like a Boomarang No mater how far you throw them they keep coming back :D

• overthebars_again

Posted July 25, 2001 - 08:39 AM

I don't know how you guys deal with all that dust. The trails were great, the riders were all pretty cool, but I'm still blowing out dirt boogers two weeks after the ride...
Ya'll need to come over to my place when it cools down. I ride from my house over several mountains and across the desert to Lone Tree cyn or even farther to Jawbone Cyn. It's an all day ride consisting mostly of single/double track, some cool woods riding and some fire roads. There are several places to stash gas cans for those who are distance challenged by a stock tank. Let me know if you're interested. I usually do variation of this ride every weekend.
otb_a

------------------

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 25, 2001 - 08:47 AM

Wait a minute here - my parents threatened to move & not leave a forwarding address for their two wonderful children but guess what? They were the ones calling me to help drive their motorhome across the country when the decided to move from Thousand Oaks, CA to Boston, MA. Don't make promises you can't keep :)

Brian

• sirhk

Posted July 25, 2001 - 09:48 PM

OTB_A

I'll definately take you up on that some time. I've got my desert tank on order. Let me know when it cools down up there. BTW I'm the one with the Yellow YZ400 that went on the long run and was dying for water.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• hodaphile

Posted July 25, 2001 - 09:51 PM

Originally posted by overthebars_again:
I don't know how you guys deal with all that dust. The trails were great, the riders were all pretty cool, but I'm still blowing out dirt boogers two weeks after the ride...
Ya'll need to come over to my place when it cools down. I ride from my house over several mountains and across the desert to Lone Tree cyn or even farther to Jawbone Cyn. It's an all day ride consisting mostly of single/double track, some cool woods riding and some fire roads. There are several places to stash gas cans for those who are distance challenged by a stock tank. Let me know if you're interested. I usually do variation of this ride every weekend.
otb_a

I just look at dust boogers as a progress report. It let's you know the nose is functioning properly!

How about setting up a ride for us? Always anxious to find out new trails. And once we spaced out the dust really wasn't that bad was it? It just required a leisurely attitude, and besides it made sure those up front were well rested but it didn't give us in the back much of a rest! LOL

------------------
aka Rich
1996 300 EXC
(dual sported)
1987 Suzuki LT250R
(Glamis chrome beast)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MojaveMutt

Posted July 25, 2001 - 10:01 AM

I agree with you completely OTB. I know the trails you guys went on well i wouldn't recommend anyone riding there this time of year, and especially a large group like you had because of the dust and silt conditions. Hell, i'm even off every Friday and there was no way i would volunteer for that ride. I also live in the Mojave and have ridden the areas you describe.I have awesome riding 5 minutes from my house. I've ridden to Randsburg and into the El Pasos on many occassions round trip from my house in Apple Valley. I've posted several invites on this forum for folks to ride from my house so i can possibly show them some stuff they haven't seen, but I never get any takers, they must think i'm some serial killer that will knock em off and steel their bikes!

I'll take you up on your offer when the weather cools off.I've ridden the areas you mention and the windmill farm too. Someday you can come to my part of the desert, me and my buddies will show you around. Shoot me your Tel. # or email, we'll hook up.
Some folks like to ride where it's all set up for them by the USFS and they get the overused and abused trails. I like to ride in the desert where real men ride.

Glenn

• overthebars_again

Posted July 25, 2001 - 11:58 AM

Khris,

I know who you are. You're the dude who wears shorts instead of riding pants. I was hating you so much while I was sweating my @ss off bro. Cool idea. I gotta figure out how to get my insurance to pay for knee braces and I'd wear shorts too. I can remember years ago when I was still mountain biking, and I went to the high-rise downhill bars and baggy shorts. All my friends were still wearing the tight bicycle pants which never appealed to me unless I was on my road bike. I caught a lot out guff over that, but hey it was comfy.
You and the rest of the gang are more than welcome to come up anytime.
otb_a

------------------

• overthebars_again

Posted July 25, 2001 - 12:31 PM

Hodaphile,

It wouldn't be a big deal but it seems that I'm alergic to just about everything out here and the dust just seems to makes it worse. I know, I'm a puss.. Besides, my wife is tired of telling me to quit picking my nose. Doh!

G. Lyles,
I like that Randsburg ride from Cal City. There's cold beer in Randsburg! I've ridden out your way also, Leona Valley I think.

I ride every weekend usually so drop me a line when you want to come out and we'll go on a death march. I don't mind the heat so much, heck I live in the desert. My email address is mwhite@ptw.com
otb_a

------------------

• MojaveMutt

Posted July 25, 2001 - 01:01 PM

OTBA,
Death march? Boy, you're my kind of guy. I do alot of rides around the 150 mile mark.I live in the desert too but i hate real hot weather. Elevation at my place is about 3000ft., probably slighty cooler than Mojave or Rosamond. When you live where we live you kinda have to be like a minuteman to catch a cooler day for riding in the summer. Are you street legal?
I'll keep in touch.

Glenn

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted July 25, 2001 - 03:39 PM

Yes Paul, I will do it again any time, yes it is way to dusty this time of year, and yes I want to ride Mojave AND Lone Tree AND Apple Valley, etc.

Man, my internet access at work is broken and I'm really missing out here. Heck, I do, or did, most of my Ttalk'n while at work. We had our internet router (shared 56k modem) die last Friday but I got the boss talked into a faster connection. Its gonna be a few days.

Moab? Hummm…

• overthebars_again

Posted July 25, 2001 - 06:35 PM

G. Lyles,
Just got back from a 50 mile loop. I almost ran over a Mojave Green, first one I've seen in the wild. Oh I forgot from the previous post, it was Lucerne Valley, not Leona. Yes do keep in touch. I end up riding by myself quite a bit, so it's always nice to hook up with another rider.

Hey Ron,
I really did enjoy the ride, don't get me wrong brother. No mechanicals, no flats, nobody got hurt, bitchin trails. You're more than welcome to come up to my area for a ride any time bro.

Well, I had an IT day from hell so I'm gonna call it quits and go to bed. Cheers.
otb_a

------------------

• PMAUST

Posted July 25, 2001 - 07:17 PM

I am suffering from the internet woes myself. My cable modem gets hooked back up Thursday. :) I have been using one of those Radio Shack wireless phone jack gizmos and it SUCKS!!! But, better than nothing. Uncle Moose, I'm still in NorCal so lets hook up and go riding. All my kids live in SoCal though.
Would either August 3rd or the 17th be ok? I have either of those two week ends available. Also, I'm open to riding pretty much anywhere. I know it will be hot and dusty. I don't much care for either. But, will not let it stop me from a good ride.

• JESSE123

Posted July 29, 2001 - 10:56 PM

How about the August 17th. I can get that day off and it still gives us enough time to plan?

• PMAUST

Posted July 29, 2001 - 11:09 PM

Jesse, your on. We have been trying to coordinate schedules around here but it is turning out crazy! Plan on it. I'll be there. Hopefully, Ron and the others can join us. I'll call you this week. :)

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted July 31, 2001 - 05:50 AM

August 17th works for me!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.