fork oil viscosity FYI

3 replies to this topic
  • MN_Kevin

Posted July 24, 2001 - 02:48 PM

In the latest MXA, it was stated the Kayaba 01, Showa SS-7,and Pro Circuit PC-01 oils are all PRODUCED by the same company and are all 5 wt. They are identical w/ the exception of color. I recall one person saying Kayaba 01 is 1 wt oil.

The article also states you should go no lighter than 5 wt for the lubrication abilities of the oil.

I am presently using 2.5 wt PJ-1 hoping to make my forks more fluid. I guess I am all hosed. :)

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• trailguy

Posted July 24, 2001 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the imformation, am just going thru my forks as we speak, and was curious what to put back in, besides YAMMY lube. 5 wieght sounds good to me. I can't believe what I took out was 1 wieght, maybe whale blubber, but not 1.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted July 25, 2001 - 12:29 AM

Yamaha 01 is NOT one weight. The OEM stuff in your forks was 5wt.

• cueball

Posted July 25, 2001 - 08:27 AM

Yo Trailguy! I just did my forkseals last night, you may recall that I was lubricating my front brakes on the 6-Days ride.

I switched from Bel-Ray to Motul 5wt this time. I love their engine oil (I think you are using Motul as well?), and the fork stuff has been recommended....

That being said, it's probably the same as everything else!! Kind of like Homer touring the Duff factory, and all Duff Dry, Duff Light, and Duff Ice all coming out of the same big vat :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.