Whip location

11 replies to this topic
  • yamaha9985

Posted December 18, 2004 - 10:27 AM

I just bought an 04 YZF450 and I go to Glamis for about every other weekend. I was wondering where to put the whip. On my old CR250 I put it on a little L bracket on the axle nut and put a small bungy cord from the seat bolt to the whip to keep it from getting sucked up in the tire. My only concern about doing this is that the whip or bungy cord will melt on the exhaust pipe. One person at the shop said to turn the axle around so the axle nut is on the other side. Any suggestions would be gretly appriciated. Thanks.

• oregon

Posted December 18, 2004 - 12:21 PM

I bought a bracket that bolts to both of the seat bolts then hoops around the back fender. It looks a little weird but the thing I like about it is that it keeps the flag up out of the way. Several of my friends had the swing arm mounts and they beat up the rear fender and silencer and after some big jumps the mount eventually broke off. The mount I have has a name and Either a phone number or web address on it, problem is I loaned it to my cousin so I can't give you that info at this moment. I will see him today so I Will post it later.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 18, 2004 - 12:23 PM

Yeah I need to get that whip mount that hooks up to your airbox bolts under your seat and comes around the rear fender. If you mount it on the swingarm I found it burns off on your pipe. That sucks. ESPECIALLY if you have an aftermarket pipe.

-Doug

• dunecj2a

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:48 PM

I just loosen the top bolt on the side number plate that holds the seat in place. Then I just run the whip down along the subframe and zip tie it at the bottom. You have to take the nut and bolt of the whip first. It fits real tight between the number plate and the frame. :cry: I go out to Glamis at least twice a month and this is my 3d season on the same whip. Its not really legal anymore because its so beat, but the rangers have never hassled me :cry: I tried the swingarm mounts and I would go thru whips every weekend :cry: I lay it down a lot out there and have never broken my whip after I strated mounting it this way. :cry: See ya out there new years.

• Fly-nBri

Posted December 20, 2004 - 08:29 AM

http://www.flickwhip.com/
http://hinesracingf....flag_mounts.asp

• Davidyz450

Posted December 20, 2004 - 06:06 PM

I have an 03 450 and the whip would always break if mounted to the swing arm. I got a mount that bolts to the inside of the rear fender and pops out to the left rear of the seat. Very clean design you can barely even see it's there with the whip off of it. Never had a broken whip since then. I can e-mail some pictures. It's from a place in oregon here's the site! :cry:

http://www.arpatv.com/index2.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted December 20, 2004 - 10:15 PM

i mount mine on the swing arm with the L-bracket then i drilled a hole in my rear fender towards the rear and i use a zip-tie to hold the whip back. doesnt touch my pipe and ive only broke one whipe when i looped it in a whoop section at pismo.

• billygoat

Posted December 24, 2004 - 10:00 AM

I use a buggy whip that is tapered. It's a bit stiff, but it hasn't broken in 8years with several good crashes. I bought it in MI, so I couldn't tell you the brand. No markings on it.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:26 PM

i mount mine on the swing arm with the L-bracket then i drilled a hole in my rear fender towards the rear and i use a zip-tie to hold the whip back. doesnt touch my pipe and ive only broke one whipe when i looped it in a whoop section at pismo.

\

I'm with stupid. :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:51 PM

y am i stupid?

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 24, 2004 - 08:09 PM

y am i stupid?

Your not. It's just a funny way of agreeing with you. Saying I do the same thing. Not ment to offend u. :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted December 25, 2004 - 10:25 AM

oh, ok, sorry bout that. i was looking at it wrong. i just got what u were trying to say right now. i guess u are with stupid(me). haha. merry x-mas.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.