05 exhaust cam

10 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 17, 2004 - 07:59 AM

i'm considering putting a yz exhaust cam in my 04 wr450 my ? is ,did the 05 cam change profile for more bottom end (they seem to mention it in the brochures that the 05 has improved bottom) and if so will it fit in the 04 head?? :cry: thanx.....bob

• ncmountainman

Posted December 18, 2004 - 02:53 PM

o.k. well where might one go to find such info???

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2004 - 03:03 PM

I haven't run a degree wheel on an '05, but I believe that the lobe profile on both engines is the same. What I think is different is that the timing of the cam has been shifted so that the power comes on later, and doesn't hit so hard at low RPM. Doug Dubach has be doing this for a while, and will re-time your cam for you. See http://www.dubachrac...px?lCatID=13#75

When Yamaha says the '05 offers "smoother" low speed power, I don't think "more" is what they mean. They mean a little less to start with, then a more gradual transition to the meat of the power.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 18, 2004 - 03:28 PM

great, so the only way to get "more" bottom end power is to just go with the 04 yz cam? and the wr exhaust cam is just a detuned version of the yz for more control in the woods? sounds good, thanx

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2004 - 04:44 PM

On the question of the WR vs. YZ within '04 model year, I suggest you do a search to see what comes up. In the 250F, the cam itself is the same, and you can actually change the timing of one or the other to make a WR more like a YZ, but in the 450s, I'm not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 18, 2004 - 05:46 PM

dont waste your time chasing yamahas cam. Buy a hotcams cam. It will deliver more power without question. then when you are satisfied that hotcams rocks buy an intake cam too.

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2004 - 11:49 PM

Probably better off buying the set to begin with; they would compliment themselves.

Hey, 'Rider, where've you been? I thought you got lost in the upgrade. :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 19, 2004 - 06:14 AM

dont waste your time chasing yamahas cam. Buy a hotcams cam. It will deliver more power without question. then when you are satisfied that hotcams rocks buy an intake cam too.

exactly. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:38 AM

thanx for the reply, using both hotcams will i have increased bottom as compared to the stock wr or will it just move the power curve up the rpm scale?
:cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:53 AM

I never did get around to installing them. But it gives more mid and top end. But you still maintain your bottem if not get a lil more.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:24 AM

cool,thanx :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.