Yz426

16 replies to this topic
  • wantmorepower

Posted December 17, 2004 - 12:01 AM

for a yz426, how is it in the power department? whats the top speed? any reliabilty issues? is the ride soft and plush or rough and hard(doesn't really matter) how does the yz426 stack up to the wr426.

any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

• DPW

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:04 AM

The bike has plenty of power and the top speed is going to depend on the gearing. The suspension can be hard or soft depending on your weight. Are we talking a stock 426?

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted December 17, 2004 - 09:20 AM

Power is strong to say the least, no gripes there. Mine will top out around 90mph or so.... but I've only hit that speed once or twice in the wide open desert.
I cant comment on the stock suspension cause mine wasn't stock when i got it.

I've never ridden a WR, but I've heard the power delivery on the WR comes on earlier and doesn't rev out like the YZ and suspension is softer. I'm sure someone else will chime in about that.

• revolucien

Posted December 17, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Great power rides like a Cadillac.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:36 PM

What are some good mods that can be done to this bike.

• wantmorepower

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:59 PM

yeah. we're talking a stock 426. top speed with stock gearing?

• adrian

Posted December 17, 2004 - 04:10 PM

The 4 cheapest mods to be done are the Power/James Now,basicly a free mod but need to invest some time, changing the spray nozzle timing in the carb,unplugging the blue neutral wire to ease starting,and the auto decompression cam. These all can be found here by doing some searching
Good Luck! :cry:

• yz_for_me

Posted December 17, 2004 - 05:33 PM

The 426 has tons of power as others have said. However, I would also add that it is a very versatile motor. It's got great power everywhere in the powerband. In some ways I like the 426 motor better than the 450 motor. My 450 definately has more power, but I think my 426 is more versatile. Part of that may be the 5 speed in the 426, but I think the motor is more flexible and adaptable to a broader range of riders and riding styles than the 450. The 450 hits harder and wants to be ridden aggressive and fast. The 426 can be ridden fast and aggressive if you want, but it is more forgiving.

As far as reliability goes, the 426 is pretty much bullet proof. I think the Yamaha's are the most reliable 4 high performance thumpers. They have a solid track record in the reliability department.

With the 426, you will definately want to do the 450 cam mod. Makes starting it a breeze and adds a little power ta-boot. By far the best $100 I spent on mine.

Handling wise, the 426 is pretty solid. It is very predictable and stable. It doesn't turn as quite as good as a 2 smoke or the newer thumpers, but it's no slouch either. The only gripe I have about mine is the weight. You get used to it, but lighter is better and the newer bikes are definately lighter.

Over all, I think the 426 is the best value in thumpers. You can pick em up pretty cheap, but they still rip. The newer 450's are better, but for the money, you would have a hard time finding a better bike then the 426.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:08 PM

The 4 cheapest mods to be done are the Power/James Now,basicly a free mod but need to invest some time, changing the spray nozzle timing in the carb,unplugging the blue neutral wire to ease starting,and the auto decompression cam. These all can be found here by doing some searching
Good Luck! :cry:

:cry:

• FSA909

Posted December 17, 2004 - 08:45 PM

Check out Motomans 393 webiste for some nice mod's to your 426. As far as power and handling it's a nice bike, good bike and good enough to hang with the big dogs, the 450's If you like good power and torque than you will be smiling from ear to ear with your 426. Good Luck.

• adrian

Posted December 17, 2004 - 09:27 PM

I actually prefer the 426 over the 450. The weight is a non point for me,I guess I was used to throwing the big 500s around in my pro days so I can't give comment on that point but as far as I am concerned the 426 is the best all round bike,the new 450s dont handle or corner anywhere close to my 426! You can torque the bike,scream the bike and it does it with a smile...:cry:

• Brandon Meidam

Posted December 17, 2004 - 09:35 PM

Where did you get the cam kit for $100.00. I have a 2001 426 and would like to do the mod. By the way I love my 426 as well. Great power, smooth and very forgiving.

Brandon

• wantmorepower

Posted December 17, 2004 - 10:36 PM

any big bore kits out there for a 426? something like a 450,470,500?? the more power the better.i want it to have so much power i'll still be scared of it.as you can see my name promotes that. :cry:

• PowerFiend

Posted December 17, 2004 - 11:36 PM

any big bore kits out there for a 426? something like a 450,470,500?? the more power the better.i want it to have so much power i'll still be scared of it.as you can see my name promotes that. :cry:

If I remember correctly http://www.faliconcranks.com/ said they do a 4mm stroker for the 426. That with a 2mm overbore will get you like 474cc.

• zeroseven

Posted December 18, 2004 - 03:20 AM

...........rides like a Cadillac.

Soft, mushy and wont go around corners....???

:cry:

• yz_for_me

Posted December 18, 2004 - 08:45 PM

Where did you get the cam kit for $100.00. I have a 2001 426 and would like to do the mod. By the way I love my 426 as well. Great power, smooth and very forgiving.

Brandon

I bought mine on ebay. I've seen others on this board say they picked up a new one for close to $100. Search the yz450 forum for "cheapest cam". I'll bet you find several options.

• Satch0922

Posted December 18, 2004 - 09:55 PM

just a word to the wise....as much as I LOVED my 426 be careful how much $$$ you dump into it. Mine was second to none and equal or better than any 450 and when I sold it I got notta... :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.