450 Piston and Rings

8 replies to this topic
  • Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:27 PM

I am in the process of changing my piston and rings. It appears that the new set of rings are bad. The shoulders on the oil ring are non existent so the outer rings will not stay in. Was able to get all the rings in the piston once then it was so tight it would not move in the cylinder. This was a Wiseco piston kit. Has anybody else had this problem and what was the solution? :cry:

• FFRacing79

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:42 PM

I am in the process of changing my piston and rings. It appears that the new set of rings are bad. The shoulders on the oil ring are non existent so the outer rings will not stay in. Was able to get all the rings in the piston once then it was so tight it would not move in the cylinder. This was a Wiseco piston kit. Has anybody else had this problem and what was the solution? :cry:

just curious...did you try installing the cylinder with the piston on the rod? The oil rings are VERY fragile. Sounds like possibly one of the oil rings came out of place while installing. Tdub

• yz007f

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:32 PM

Buy OEM Piston and rings Problem solved. I'm done my piston and rings lots in my 450 and not a problem.

• FFRacing79

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:48 PM

Buy OEM Piston and rings Problem solved. I'm done my piston and rings lots in my 450 and not a problem.

HUH??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:08 PM

just curious...did you try installing the cylinder with the piston on the rod? The oil rings are VERY fragile. Sounds like possibly one of the oil rings came out of place while installing. Tdub

I tried both ways. First with the piston on the rod. When that didn't work, I removed the piston from the rod. No luck either way.

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:11 PM

I wanted to go OEM but after a month on back order I went aftermarket. I guess there is a reason they are back order??

• yz007f

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:14 PM

They shouldn't be on back order (From Yamaha Canada). I ordered mine and within the week they had it, but out of the US it could be different. I just got my motor back together a few weeks ago. I wouldn't put in aftermarket in my motor I just dont trust wiseco product I have had back luck with them in the past. The OEM parts have proved themselves to me that they work. I would rather spend them extra money to make it right.

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:30 PM

I'm guessing you checked the ring end gaps in the cylinder to be sure they sent the right size set?

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 19, 2004 - 11:12 PM

Well, all is well. They sent the wrong rings. Everything back together and it runs awesome again. Thanks for the advice everybody!! I will only go OEM from here on out. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.