Cam question/Need an experts opinion!

3 replies to this topic
  • adrian

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:07 PM

I can get a smoking deal on a "HOT CAMS" cam first off anyone used them?? Secondly it's off a 03 up 450, I looked at the hotcams website and checked the specs. The difference between the 02 auto decomp and the 03 up auto it the lift on the cam, the 02 is rated at 9.0mm and the 03 is 8.7mm now is this a stock rating aswell?? Would I be able to make up the difference by running thicker shims like when you install a stock 03 cam on an 02??
Any help??
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:15 PM

I can get a smoking deal on a "HOT CAMS" cam first off anyone used them?? Secondly it's off a 03 up 450, I looked at the hotcams website and checked the specs. The difference between the 02 auto decomp and the 03 up auto it the lift on the cam, the 02 is rated at 9.0mm and the 03 is 8.7mm now is this a stock rating aswell??

Lots of guys use and like the stuff from Hot Cams. I'll check the lift listed in the 2 manuals and post later if no one else clears that issue up, but there's another difference in the '02 and '03 cams. The pitch of the cam chain differs slightly between the 426 and 450. Best to use the right one for the engine.

Would I be able to make up the difference by running thicker shims like when you install a stock 03 cam on an 02??
Any help??
Thanks

Better think about that one a second. The shims set the clearance between the base of the cam and the valve. The lift is measured by comparing the distance from camshaft center to the base to the distance between the shaft center to lobe peak. Adding shims to increase lift will eliminate your valve clearance. Then you'll have the extra lift, but they just won't close. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted December 16, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Though the chain pitch is different, it is a non issue. Many of us have been running the yamaha auto cam in the 426's and I have not seen one failure or concern after installation from anyone, except those who never tried it. Also regarding the shims, if you were to put in a smaller shim due to increased lift of the new cam ( if it has more lift?) you could control total lift, however it would open later and close earlier. That would just open another can of worms. Personally I wouldnt think there is enough differences in the lift to be of any concern. But I would check before letting it scream. Clay works well. :cry:

• adrian

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:50 PM

Though the chain pitch is different, it is a non issue. Many of us have been running the yamaha auto cam in the 426's and I have not seen one failure or concern after installation from anyone, except those who never tried it. Also regarding the shims, if you were to put in a smaller shim due to increased lift of the new cam ( if it has more lift?) you could control total lift, however it would open later and close earlier. That would just open another can of worms. Personally I wouldnt think there is enough differences in the lift to be of any concern. But I would check before letting it scream. Clay works well. :cry:

Thanks thats what I was thinking. Good idea with the clay,if I can get this cam I will def do that!! Thanks!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.