shavings in the oil filter??

7 replies to this topic
  • 2000YZ426dude

Posted December 15, 2004 - 09:17 PM

Hey i changed the oil on my YZ426 the other day for the first time and i took the oil filter out and notice some metal shavings in there real fine nothing big also saw some little black shavings too.. um i cleaned the oil filter and all put installed it but i was woundering if this is normal wear and tear on this bikes i'm still kinda new on owning one of these badboys so i dunno..bike still seems to run pretty good i don't see really any smoke riding..anyway so i dunno i hope it's just normal wear and tear and nothing serious going on in there i''ve always checked the oil and seem full... :cry:

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted December 15, 2004 - 10:41 PM

I would recommend changing your oil every 3 rides. Change your oil filter every two oil changes. What kind of oil filter do your currently have? Are you re-using the OEM/paper one's? There are lots different thoughts on this subject and the frequency associated w/ it.

Just my $.02

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:26 AM

I have always just cleaned the OEM metal one on my 426. I have three and rotate them.

Metal shavings on the YZF's are normal. I change my oil overy two or three rides and clean/inspect/change the oil filter every other oil change.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:53 AM

I was told that they can last for 10 oil changes and be perfectly fine. Hell mine lasted forever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:20 AM

if there is no metal shaving in your filter, your oil pump ain't working.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 16, 2004 - 04:13 AM

The shavings come from the tranny and the clutch basket. I change my oil every ride day.

• Scooter426

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:47 PM

just change your oil often. A little bit of metal shavings is normal, but if the filter is packed full, then your motor is in need of some new bearings. Probably the lower Conrod bearing. It is the most common problem on older/tired 426 motors (I just rebuilt mine).

• 2000YZ426dude

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:41 PM

hey guys thanks for your answers ummm well i belieave it was like 4 or 5rides ago i last changed it and had the dealership ... and i belieave it's just the oem filter that's in it i was looking at twin Airs oil filter not sure probably not reuseble but i dunno if anyof u guys ever used those but maybe just buying a couple Oem Filters and just rotate them around and clean if needed but ya i was thinking it was normal for the shavings i just wanted to make sure there wasn't all that much.. but thanks for the reply guys i'll just keep up on my oil changes i used Mobile one Synthitic 10w40 this time wasn't the red cap like u guys was saying but it was made for 4cycle motorcycles ...i was looking at Royal purple for motorcycles any of u guys tried that oil? anyway thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.