baja designs skid plate - XR650L

5 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted December 15, 2004 - 06:29 PM

just bought the BD skid plate. question, do i remove the little, outtermost, bar attached to the frame? or do i just install right over this bar?

any other advice before i install this skid plate?

• RhedF350

Posted December 15, 2004 - 08:19 PM

If you're talking about the tubular wrap- around guard at the front of the motor, then yes, it comes off. On mine the Moose skid plate would not fit over that guard. Does that help?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 16, 2004 - 11:44 AM

My skidplate fit over the bars with no loss of ground clearance.
The bars saved my butt too- I ride in a loooot of rocks! Nothing like wheeling off a boulder and nailing another with the skidplate on landing...

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • allan68

Posted December 19, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Good question on the BD skid plate.
I looked at mine today (not yet installed) and it appears as though it could be installed with or without the original tubular bar protectors.
Lets hear it guys. There must be lots of riders with BD skid plates on their XRL's. :cry:

Al

• AzMtnThumper

Posted December 19, 2004 - 06:47 PM

On my XR600R , which has a very similar frame to the 650L, I left the tubular pieces on thinking the more protection the better. I was also using the BD/Moose/Utah Sport Cycle skidplate.

• craft

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:24 PM

Get rid of it. The skidplate weighs as much as the oem cage, so save yourself a pound or more, and toss that oem cage in storage. A pound here and there can add up. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.