Keepin the pipe shiny?

17 replies to this topic
  • condog_aus

Posted December 15, 2004 - 04:58 PM

What do you guys use to keep the stainless pipe browning.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 15, 2004 - 11:47 PM

I haven't found anything that'll stop the pipe going brown. 'Brasso' will shine it up, but as soon as the bike's warmed up, brown again..... :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:57 AM

Function before style boys! Chrome wont get you home.

• yzwiley

Posted December 16, 2004 - 07:27 AM

Sell the dirt bike and buy a street bike. You will not have this problem any more.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:09 AM

What do you guys use to keep the stainless pipe browning.

your 450/250 headpipe is titanium.........correct? :cry:

What Stainless pipe are you talking about? Aftermarket? They all change colors - regardless - heat man heat!

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:48 AM

Sell the dirt bike and buy a street bike. You will not have this problem any more.

David, My friend, There are some questions just not worth asking out loud....

Bonzai :cry:

• RussVCHSS

Posted December 16, 2004 - 09:59 AM

When you wash your bike go over it with a brush and it will get the baked on dirt, off your pipe. Not hard to do at all....

• Thumper38

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:12 AM

The mid pipe is stainless!

• gonzo

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:22 AM

If you really want to use WD and some fine grit sand paper. That will basically make it look the way it did originally.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panosyz400f

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Try use a ceramic coader on the inside.
can't really remember the name but you can get it here
www.ironeagle.com

• condog_aus

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:11 PM

your 450/250 headpipe is titanium.........correct? :cry:

What Stainless pipe are you talking about? Aftermarket? They all change colors - regardless - heat man heat!

The headers not going brown, its the mid section and on my WR the Silencer / Muffler. I thought the mid section was stainless on the YZ.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2004 - 02:14 PM

The headers not going brown, its the mid section and on my WR the Silencer / Muffler. I thought the mid section was stainless on the YZ.

I see....you are right.......I never use the stock muffler anyway..........

• Scooter426

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:25 PM

I just wet sand it with fine grit sand paper. (2000 YZ426). It looks like new when you are done. SUPER shiny.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:45 PM

Wow that has to be one of the dumbest ideas I have heard of. lol.

• stainlessTT

Posted December 16, 2004 - 06:46 PM

Okay you have heard the rest now hear the best! JK my fellow TTers and YZ450 riders.

I detailed cars for over 4 years and now I'm a welder / fabricator. So I know a "little" about cleaning and a "little" about metals such as STAINLESS steel ( my favorite metal to build with )

Stainless will turn blueish / purple when extream heat is applied such as welding or exhaust from an engine. Thats normal.

If it has a brownish tint its either mudy water thats been cooked on it or it rust due to a low quality of SS ( which is not the case on your bike ) or its rust from you tring to clean it with a mild steel wire brush. The brush has contaminated the SS with mild steel, which will rust when exposed to water. It will look clean and shiny for a day or two but the rust will set in. You must use a SS wire brush to remove the mild steel or mudy water contamination from the SS.

Stainless steel comes in many different series from 200 - 347 all depends on the chromium % and the nickel % that is added to regular mild steel. Thats why a low grade of stainless WILL rust. A simple way to see if you have a higher or lower grade of SS is to see if a magnet will stick to it. If a magnet will stick it has a low percentage of chromium and / or nickel thus it is of low quality. If it will not stick it at least around 300 series.

My advise is simple:
1. Remove the top layer of metal with a fine SS wire brush on a grinder or alot of elbo grease.
2. Polish with "Never Dull" an Eagle One product. It comes in a silver and black can. It will take many steps of polishing and buffing but the shine will last forever until it is scratched by something hard, but scratches can easily be buffed out.

My stock YZ450 muffler has a mirror finish that I can fix my hair in. Never Dull also works great on aluminum like the little frame that hold the rear fender, also like glass on my bike. :cry:

• stainlessTT

Posted December 16, 2004 - 07:15 PM

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about the muffler, which is stainless. The header pipe and mid section is Titanium. The brownish tint in your mid section is normal from the heat it just not as hot in the mid section as it is at the header, which has a purple tint. If your mid section were ever to get as hot as your header pipe it would turn purple too. Titanium looks alot like stainless but darker. From a hottest spot to a cool spot Titanium goes from red ( almost molten ) to dark purple to light purple to purple/browish to a dirty copper color.
Titanium has an excellent resistance to corrosion. Its heaver than aluminum but lighter than steel. When titanium is annealed, it is relatively soft and ductile. It obtains maximum strength when it is solution heat treated and then aged. Strengths can exceed 200 ksi. It come in four different grades, ASTM Grades 1 - 4.

Stainless is a Ferrous metal ( contains iron and steel )
Titanium and aluminum are Nonferrous ( does not contain much iron ) which is why you will never see rust on a nonferrous metal.

• condog_aus

Posted December 16, 2004 - 11:18 PM

Awsome StainlessTT thanks for your expertise.

• stainlessTT

Posted December 17, 2004 - 07:25 PM

Awsome StainlessTT thanks for your expertise.

No problem man, glad that info actualy became usefull to someone else besides me. :cry:

Let me know how you like "Never Dull"

* remember it will take time to get it really shiny but its well worth it* :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.