Zip Ty Fuel Screw?

42 replies to this topic
  • BOOBOO

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:36 AM

I just rigged me a screwdriver that works great. Cost me nothing but a little time.

• mxchase

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:39 AM

Some of you guys are saying thast if you have to go more than two turns out then to change your pilot jet. Would you go to a larger jet or a smaller one? (I think larger but I don't know)

• Wyatt

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:09 PM

If it vibrated out then you didn't install it correctly. Read the directions.

That's a bold statement...........and a very stupid one.

Mine was installed correctly...doesn't take a rocket scientist to put an oring, a washer and spring onto a screw and screw it in. It also always ran about 1 1/4 turns out.

So, IMO, they are simply not needed, and with the extra mass that they have.............they are more likely to vibrate out. i have heard of several (on this board) that have done so.

• yzwiley

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:18 PM

That's a bold statement...........and a very stupid one.

Mine was installed correctly...doesn't take a rocket scientist to put an oring, a washer and spring onto a screw and screw it in. It also always ran about 1 1/4 turns out.

So, IMO, they are simply not needed, and with the extra mass that they have.............they are more likely to vibrate out. i have heard of several (on this board) that have done so.

Mine has been in there for over two years and has yet to vibrate out, yet your's has come out. So, who's the stupid one Wyatt?

If you read the friggin' instructions you will notice how it instructs you to change out he pilot jet if your screw exceeds a specified amount of turns out and that you must install the o-ring properly. This was written with the concern of the screw vibrating out.

• yzwiley

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:27 PM

Mine vibrated out also. They are junk IMO. Use a small screwdriver bit and adjust your fuel screw for the day and be done with it. Stretching the spring a little sounds like a good idea, but when you have the assembly in your hand looking at it you will see that it is not a good option.

You've missed the whole point of installing a ZipTy mixture screw if you're advising someone to use a screwdriver.

The point of having Ty's mixture screw is so you can adjust the thing on the fly without killing the motor and without getting off the bike. If we are to do it Wyatt's way then everyone else is two miles down the trail before you get it all done.

And no Wyatt, you can't assume that you're only going to adjust it once in a day and be done with it. If you're on a ride with substantial elevation and temperature changes then you very well will find that you might need to adjust it often to keep the bike running correctly throughout the day.

And by the way, if you back out the stock screw to many turns it too will fall out.

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:59 PM

If it vibrated out then you didn't install it correctly. Read the directions.

That was a retarded post. Thanks for offering your (limited) wisdom.

I'm with Wyatt on this one. The fuel screw replacement is really not that necessary when you can easily get to it with a small flat blade (however you obtain one). And it can sure ruin your day quickly when it falls out.

With that said, I still run one on my CRF because you just can't get your hand in there with a flat blade. But I don't run one on the YZF.

And for those guys who say you have to spend $34 to get a replacement? I got my replacement spring, washer, and oring from a local race shop (iMoto in Livermore) who says they see this EVERY week!!!!! Cost was about $3.

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:01 PM

And by the way, if you back out the stock screw to many turns it too will fall out.

And if you remove all the air from your tires, they'll be flat.

• Wyatt

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:28 PM

Dude, you are hilarious. I can see that you have a very strong bond with your fuel screw.

The screwdriver that I use is about 1 1/2 inches long and stays right with the rest of my trackside tools. Works great for quick adjustments and I have used it while the motor was running. I have, on a few occasions made adjustments for large temp changes. But, if you jetting is right on, you will not have to fiddle with it much except for large environmental changes.

If your fuel screw works for you....hey man thats great. Mine worked for me too until it vibrated out just like others have....ruined my whole day. The point of my post is to make others think if they really need one. Don't fix what really isn't broken. I wonder if there are big fuel screws sticking out of the bottom of RC's, Reed's 450, and the others. I would bet no because they don't take those kind of chances. Hell the carbs are even safety wired on.

I would like to see you do one of those quick "on the fly adjustments" . What do you do?? Slide into a corner, pull a tear off, and the go 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw before the whoop section?????????? :cry:

• CRFThumper

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:36 PM

I like the zip Ty as well!I have seen them come out but Ive seen the stocks ones do it as well!To each his own but if there is something that makes it easy I'm gonna try it!
I even bought the motion pro adj tool its a long driver with a 90 on the end you twist the handle to rotate the bit.It worked OK but hard to take with you!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2004 - 02:10 PM

I have a Brand spanking new Kouba for sale - remember those - :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted December 16, 2004 - 03:44 PM

more than 2-3 turns means you need a LARGER pilot jet.

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:40 PM

I have a Brand spanking new Kouba for sale - remember those - :cry:

That's the one that fell off my CRF!!!!

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:44 PM

... Slide into a corner, pull a tear off, and the go 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw before the whoop section?????????? :cry:

LMAO! :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Flattracker60

Posted December 17, 2004 - 07:16 AM

I bought a Storm Products fuel srcew for my 03 CRF450, I have since sold the bike and now have a 04 YZ450. Can I use the fuel screw on my YZ?? Are they the same?

• Wyatt

Posted December 17, 2004 - 07:59 AM

I would bet that they are exactly the same.

• Flattracker60

Posted December 17, 2004 - 08:07 AM

I have since called Storm and a Yamaha dealer and both said they are the same :cry: Thanks.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 17, 2004 - 08:21 AM

That's the one that fell off my CRF!!!!

yea they used to be as hot as the "cut the grey wire mod"

I bought it looked at it and said that thing will fall off for sure ...... :cry:

• yzwiley

Posted December 17, 2004 - 12:45 PM

I would like to see you do one of those quick "on the fly adjustments" . What do you do?? Slide into a corner, pull a tear off, and the go 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw before the whoop section?????????? :cry:

Come to NorCal and I'll show you. And hey, don't get pissed at me because you don't have the skills.

FYI, yeah, I do adjust the screw while I'm rolling. Try that with your little screwdriver Wyner.

• Scooter426

Posted December 18, 2004 - 07:11 AM

remote bar mounted fuel screw adjuster... hmmmm

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 18, 2004 - 08:07 AM

What do you do?? Slide into a corner, pull a tear off, and the go 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw before the whoop section?????????? :cry:

It's best done during an inverted whip over the tripple before the corner. That way you don't have to turn your head upside down while you are in the air, that can be tricky. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.