new to 426 land

11 replies to this topic
  • dirtpop

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:47 PM

Hi all, Well after reading lots and lots of threads here you guys are fart smellers, uh sorry smart fellas,
well i went into the local shop to pick up a new aluminum tube for my oldest,s yz80 and to check on my wifes new ttr230 delivery and it just happened that the owners son had just parked a sweet 02 426f and after talking over with the wife decided to sell xr400 and upgrade to blue. have to wait until her bike comes in this week but cant wait. i see that there are alot of mods any suggetions on what first. thanks for having such a great site :cry: :cry:

• Goosedog

Posted December 15, 2004 - 04:51 AM

Just got the same year/model myself after years in the woods on XR600's and DRZ's. Looking forward to knowing this machine better. I'm in the process of a few intial mods right now. :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:03 AM

Call me crazy, but I don't have any big complaints about the stock bike aside from the tin foil bars and chain. Just put on a sturdy bar and a set of tires to match your terrain and then you've got a fairly solid package.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 15, 2004 - 07:21 AM

I like a good complete pipe and airfilter. Then a new chain and sprockets and handlebars. You can also through on some good michialin starcross softcompoun tires front and rear. Then a complete suspension setup re-valve, sprins, fluid. Then your golden in my book. When it comes time for a top end a bor out and 13.5.1 compression is very nice!

Aside from upgrades I think the 02 426 is the most pleasing bike nowadays ever. Except from brand new.

• HotRod250F

Posted December 15, 2004 - 08:43 AM

I'm with sirthumpalot, the stock 426 is a great bike. I've had an '01 426, a 250F, and now an '02 426. If you do regular maintenance, these bikes are just plain bulletproof. Throw on some bars with a bend you like, setup the suspension for you, gas up, and have a blast :cry:

• dirtpop

Posted December 15, 2004 - 08:01 PM

thanks for the info, i think it already has bars, i know it has a pipe, i think i am deffinitly gonna do the cam mod and get the susp dvd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokin529

Posted December 15, 2004 - 08:35 PM

The first mod you should do is add the Zip-Ty air screw. Being able to easily fine tune the airscrew is invaluable

• skthom2320

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:18 AM

The stock 426 is a great bike. I have an '01 that I kept when I upgraded to an '04 CRF450.

The '02 426 is the best of all of them.

Only thing to really do is jet for your local conditions, set up the suspension, and RIDE. Also, put some outdoor or automotive "goop" underneath the chain slide otherwise it will eat your swingarm. Trust me, just get the goop, I tried many other things (RTV, silicone, foam sealant) and the only thing that lasts is goop.

BTW - I never did the cam mod - the bike is a one or two kick starting bike since new ferchrissakes!!! And don't let people tell you that you need the GB/BK mod (shorten the duration of the accelerator pump squirt) either. Judge for yourself. There is no bog on my '01 but it's jetted for the conditions I ride. :cry:

Also remember that if the bike doesn't start in 10 kicks or so and you are using the correct starting "drill", just put in a new NGKCR8 plug. Works every time. That may happen a few times until you get it jetted right.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:56 AM

I never did the 450 cam or the zip-ty needel or thegb/bk mods either and my bike started first/second kick every time. Hell all you have to do to bump start them is tap the decompression lever. Never fould a plug in 3 years. She ran like a bat out of hell too.

• 426mankiller

Posted December 16, 2004 - 07:57 PM

I also agree with Hotrod250f with the experience I have had with my 01 426. you will just have to get used to the tall 1st gear and not having to twist the throttle as much as the xr to do the same riding! :cry:

• Scooter426

Posted December 16, 2004 - 09:13 PM

I have an Applied clamp and 2 sets of risers for the 426. It helps the bike fit taller riders a bit better. You can also run OS bars (pro taper). The clamp allows for height adjust and front to back adjust.

I have the clamp advertised for $100, but make me an offer. retail is $164.

No pad included (it is on my 2004!)

• dirtpop

Posted December 17, 2004 - 08:15 PM

talked to dealer today and wifes bike still not in, jones'n real badddddddd

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.