Front end scary on street

6 replies to this topic
  • Mister_Infinity

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:26 PM

I've noticed a problem with front end stability when changing directions agressively on the street (93 XR600). When I turn in hard to stand the bike up and lean it over in the other direction, the front end seems to get real light and I feel like I might be getting a little head shake, though I'm not sure if this is a correct diagnosis. But nevertheless, it feels as though if I pushed any harder when changing directions I would end up on the pavement. It just seems like a crazy, unnatural weight transfer game is going on underneath me. Is there anything I can do with my suspension settings or technique to stop this? (I have my fork tubes as high as they'll go in the triple clamp) It's really limiting my riding.

Thanks,
Chris

• zx7rye

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:41 AM

I've noticed a problem with front end stability when changing directions agressively on the street (93 XR600). When I turn in hard to stand the bike up and lean it over in the other direction, the front end seems to get real light and I feel like I might be getting a little head shake, though I'm not sure if this is a correct diagnosis. But nevertheless, it feels as though if I pushed any harder when changing directions I would end up on the pavement. It just seems like a crazy, unnatural weight transfer game is going on underneath me. Is there anything I can do with my suspension settings or technique to stop this? (I have my fork tubes as high as they'll go in the triple clamp) It's really limiting my riding.

Thanks,
Chris

Dirtbikes do not have enough front end bias and have alot of travel. When diving into corner a couple things could be going on, but my gut instinct is tells me that for the speed your traveling not enough weight is being transferred to the front wheel. I believe you said you have maxed out the movement of the tubes through the trees, so the only other option is to alter the rear ride height(of which I am not sure that bike is equiped with that kind of adjustability) and to try stiffening the compression damping up front. If you are running dual sport tires, they could also be the source of the problem. They will get squirrely at lean due to a smaller contact area and harder compounds.

• cheff

Posted December 15, 2004 - 06:11 AM

I bet it’s the forks flexing. I had the same issue on my 650L until I got a fork brace. I can now throw it around the tight stuff, it still feels completely different than a sport bike, but it’s a different riding style. I have no trouble keeping up until it gets straight, and then I am left behind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scorch

Posted December 15, 2004 - 09:22 AM

Also, try looking over your spokes. Maybe some are loose. That can cause the front to feel strange.

• Mister_Infinity

Posted December 15, 2004 - 09:43 PM

Well, thanks for the ideas, but I already have a superbrace(do these really shorten travel much?), and I think my spokes are tight, at least they aren't noticably loose. I've mostly only ridden on a pair of maxxis 6006's (which only lasted less than 1500 miles, got severly ramped knobs at street pressure, and destroyed the correct shape of every single knob), so maybe it has something to do with the tires.

I feel like I generally have a good weight distribution during cornering, and will tend to hang the rear easy in tight corners, but changing direction really screws things up. I guess I'll try more rear preload, but if I'm already losing travel on the front due to the brace, I think I'll drop the tubes to regain as much as possible cause I'm always bottoming the front.

thanks again,
Chris

• Winkel

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:28 PM

I had a similar problem, but my front end was too soft. I lowered the back end so the front wouldn't dive so much. Maybe this would help.
Winkel

• mikekay

Posted December 16, 2004 - 09:23 PM

I would take a look at the sag and see if its to high in rear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.