Looking to buy_Want suggestions

18 replies to this topic
  • olskool

Posted December 14, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Looking at a local 04 WR450 for $4200 with a couple hundred trail miles. Was hoping to get a WR426 for under $3000. Is the electric start worth the extra dough? Any suggestions? I also like KTM's, and Husqvarna's. I want to dual sport it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:26 PM

That nearly new 2004 WR450 for $4200 is the way to go! :cry:

• olskool

Posted December 16, 2004 - 04:37 AM

Only one reply? Thanks. My problem with choosing is the cost. There's a lot of nice YZ426's around in the $2500 range, and a couple earlier WR's for $3000. I figure I'll basically get the same ride except no electric start, right? I'm just trying to justify spending the extra dough. I read about a lot of guys trading up, but is it just because they can, or do they really want the electric start? I've never had a problem kickstarting anything, and I've had a few old HD's.

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:53 AM

I would go for the 04' for $4,200 because that is a heck of a price!!! You will really like the "E" button and it's a 450 VS a 426 Not much of a diffrence I know, but worth it in my book. With only a few 100 miles of trails? Go for it!!!

• mousemeat

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:57 AM

I went new just because i wanted the assurance that some muppet hadn't done something catastrophically stupid to it. The newer one will always be better, because things get updated every year. The only thing to watch out for on WR's is the starter stuff on the '03 WR, cause it needs replaceing to '04 spec. Make sure the '04 really is an '04. If it looks as genuine low milage as they say it is, go for it.

• djv5

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:20 PM

The only thing to watch out for on WR's is the starter stuff on the '03 WR, cause it needs replaceing to '04 spec. for it.

Not every '03 has the starter problem, only a specific production run of VIN #'s. I have loggged over 5,000 miles of riding trails and Super Moto riding on my '03 and have never had a problem. I use the electric start 100% of the time-cold starts, hot starts, in-neutral, in-gear, etc.

• olskool

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Did the 2003 WR250's have any starting problems? I was going to look at one of those too. It's less than $3000 for that one, but it's been ridden a bit more, and raced. I thought I should opt for the larger bike, since I've got plenty of experience, and I'm over 250lbs. I ride pretty conservatively, but want the power when I need it.

• drewpeacock

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:49 PM

I would NEVER buy a bike that has been raced. Thats like marrying a hooker. Go for the newer 450. Repairs are expensive. Rebuilding these four strokes can get very pricey. Just remember that when buying somebody's used up bike.

• Rob79

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:27 AM

I have an 04 WR450 and absolutely love it. I have also ridden the WR250 and my opinion is that you'll probably like the 450 alot more. I was oroginally going to by a 250 but got a better deal on a 450 so I took it. I don't know how I'd get along without it low end grunt/
Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chiefsfan.58

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:06 AM

My problem with choosing is the cost. There's a lot of nice YZ426's around in the $2500 range, and a couple earlier WR's for $3000. I figure I'll basically get the same ride except no electric start, right?

Hey old school, I had been riding my bro's '01 YZ426 for a while before deciding to buy the '05 WR. In my opinion, they are not nearly the "same ride"..... The YZ is geared totally different than the WR (wide ratio). The YZ seemed to have much more "pep" than the WR but it is for a different style of riding as far as I am concerned. Yes you can still trail-ride a YZ (or a two stroke like most of my misdirected friends do), but I went with the WR450 because it is more suited to the riding I do. Mostly mountain and desert trails in So. CA and desert trails in AZ. The WR450 may be the better choice due to your weight (I am at 200lb) and this bike has the power to pull my butt up any hill I dare climb. If you are gonna ride mainly trails, I would go WR instead of the YZ. I do like the YZ426F better than the 250 two strokes on trails, but the WR trans is like a "Cadillac" on the trails. :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted December 17, 2004 - 03:12 AM

I would NEVER buy a bike that has been raced. Thats like marrying a hooker.

However, she would have lots of shiny bits, and been well run in.

• olskool

Posted December 22, 2004 - 09:19 AM

I passed on the bike for $4200 :cry: . You snooze, you lose. Now I have a guy that wants to ship me a like new 04 wr450 with only 100 miles from England for $3800 shipped :cry: . He's from the US, and has got a story about shipping it there with the return shipping already paid, but he's taken a job there and is staying :cry: . Haven't decided yet to go for it. The deal seems too good to be true. The guy seems honest. Still trying to get verification, and he's willing to have me put the money in escrow and he pays the escrow fees. Should I go for it? :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted December 22, 2004 - 12:52 PM

Sounds like a good deal if it is in fact legit. See where he is, tell us where he is and have him bring the bike to the nearest local TT'er to verify that its not thrashed and that it exists. Also make sure the escrot company is legit. I would be highly suspicious.

• lewichris

Posted December 22, 2004 - 03:59 PM

Looking at a local 04 WR450 for $4200 with a couple hundred trail miles. Was hoping to get a WR426 for under $3000. Is the electric start worth the extra dough? Any suggestions? I also like KTM's, and Husqvarna's. I want to dual sport it.

i would say the 24 cc are worth it. Just a great bike all around or so i have heard.

• Beef

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:56 PM

If the deal seems to be too good to be true, IT IS. This guy MAY be legit, but there are a lot of SMART crooks out there, that have already thought their plan through. I wouldn't buy it unless I saw it first. He may not even HAVE a bike to sell. I've heard numerous stories about this very same thing from South Africa, and some poor fool always takes it dry in the end.

• olskool

Posted December 22, 2004 - 05:43 PM

I told him I want a fax of the title, and the vin number so I can research it, and that he's got to prove to me that it's legit. Since he's offering to pay the escrow fees, he's got to pay them upfront. If it's not legit, I'll get my money back from the escrow company less the fees, so I'll be out nothing except a hassle. The escrow company thinks it's bogus, but they're not sure either. I think I'm smart enough not to get ripped. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I'm still looking. Christmas has slowed the used market, but my wad has only gotten larger. My local dealer's got two 05's for 6 grand each. Tempting

• mousemeat

Posted December 23, 2004 - 02:57 AM

Make sure the escrot company is not ficticious.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2004 - 07:37 AM

It is best that the Buyer to choose the escrot company close to him.
It is best for the owner to choose the shipping method and proof delivery!

• WRider995

Posted December 23, 2004 - 08:26 AM

Only one reply? Thanks. My problem with choosing is the cost. There's a lot of nice YZ426's around in the $2500 range, and a couple earlier WR's for $3000. I figure I'll basically get the same ride except no electric start, right? I'm just trying to justify spending the extra dough. I read about a lot of guys trading up, but is it just because they can, or do they really want the electric start? I've never had a problem kickstarting anything, and I've had a few old HD's.

If you want to dual sport it you'll be sorry if you get the YZ over the WR. You'll want all the lights since it's a pain with the YZ. I agree, that '04 WR450 sounds like a plan. Less wear and tear = good. Just do it, don't even think about it. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.