A.I.S Plugs for 2005 (Awesome!!)

13 replies to this topic
  • A_Bess

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:46 PM

A buddy of mine "Lowedog" machined some aluminum plugs to eliminate the A.I.S. system on my 05. Very impressive!! The plugs make for a nice and clean professional finish and solved the slight backfire on deceleration.
Without question it's the only way to go. Now I can get the IMS tank without waiting for a design that fits around that A.I.S. Thanks Lowedog!!!! :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:59 PM

So is he going to be selling them? Maybe TT store under "Member manufactured items"? Just a thought? I'm sure many people would be interested.

• A_Bess

Posted December 14, 2004 - 01:11 PM

To be honest, I don't know if he is going to sell them or not. He most definitely should, the craftsmansip is quality and most important effective. They will be just as good if not better in my oppinion of any "big named" manufactured product. He would probably sell them for a helluva lot less $$$$$ too!! Send him a private message if you are interested. Thanks again Lowedog!:cry:

• Texas4play

Posted December 14, 2004 - 01:19 PM

I've got my order in already. Looking forward to installing his kit.

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 15, 2004 - 10:44 AM

Hey Texas, I was thinking about just leaving my AIS in place. Not sure how much I will gain by plugging it off........ This bike has already got enuff power. How much is the kit you ordered and do you know what affects the plug kit will have on the bike?

BTW, I currently have my '05 set up as follows: exhaust uncorked, throttle screw cut down, grey wire disconnected, JD needle/jet kit (blue needle and a 170 main jet), ZipTy fuel mixture screw, one of the two holes on the right side of the airbox cut out (snorkel still installed at top just behind battery), and just installed last night a #48 pilot jet due to hesitation when blipping throttle from idle and backfiring when getting off the throttle.
Thanks for any advice/info.

• A_Bess

Posted December 15, 2004 - 12:44 PM

Hey Chiefsfan, did you dial in the jetting so that the throttle blip and backfire are completely gone? We adusted the jetting on mine and couldn't completely solve the problem. We could make it a whole lot better, but not perfect. After we added the plugs it was like night and day!!

• timcook

Posted December 15, 2004 - 12:49 PM

Awesome news. I am guessing that since you removed the AIS valve and the backfire issue lessens then let’s theorize. The valve injects air into the exhaust stream. The idea, from what I understand is this injection of oxygen helps to burn the unburned hydrocarbons and in turn the exhaust is a more complete combustion mixture. Maybe the backfiring is the exhaust actually exploding in the pipe?
What I can't see is how it increases performance minus the weight reduction. Anyway mine is off and I am having the pipe Tig welded shut. Great post A Bess!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Texas4play

Posted December 15, 2004 - 01:55 PM

Hey Texas, I was thinking about just leaving my AIS in place. Not sure how much I will gain by plugging it off........ This bike has already got enuff power. How much is the kit you ordered and do you know what affects the plug kit will have on the bike?

BTW, I currently have my '05 set up as follows: exhaust uncorked, throttle screw cut down, grey wire disconnected, JD needle/jet kit (blue needle and a 170 main jet), ZipTy fuel mixture screw, one of the two holes on the right side of the airbox cut out (snorkel still installed at top just behind battery), and just installed last night a #48 pilot jet due to hesitation when blipping throttle from idle and backfiring when getting off the throttle.
Thanks for any advice/info.

In a nutshell ... you can leave the AIS gear on your bike, no problem (if you don't mind some backfiring). OR, you can just plug off the line with a rubber cork (to reduce backfiring). OR, you can buy this new kit ($30.00, includes shipping) and remove it all together. Saving you the backfire, a little weight, and easier access to the rear shock sag adjustment. Unless you're going to leave your bike bone-stock, eliminating the AIS is a good thing no matter how you do it.

Cheifsfan, where's your needle clip setting and your fuel screw setting?
I'm at about 500' elev. with temps below 70 degrees running the jd kit blue needle #4, fuel screw 1 3/4, stock pilot, free mods, except I didn't cut my air box side, just the top is opened. I'm also setting sag between 100-105, the front forks I went two clicks out (softer) top and bottom.

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:25 AM

Wow this is getting interesting.
A Bess, I haven't gotten either to go away completely. I am still tinkering with it but it did seem to get a little better. Thanks for your info on this, I am gonna do some thinking on whether or not to remove the system from my bike. I am totally able to ride the bike as is but I would like to find the best set up for this expensive toy. I don't need a race bike or I probly woulda went YZf.
Tim, I agree that what these components weigh has gotta be minimal. I don't know if the exhaust is still hot enough to ignite all the way back in the pipe or not. If it is, then the unburned fuel could use that injected oxygen to burn more completely. Makes sense, I think :cry: ......... Hehe
Texas, 30 bones is not bad at all, and I think that amount will pretty much sway me to get the kit. I haven't even attempted to adjust any suspension settings as of yet but once I get this thing running well, I think that'll be my next venture. Back to the carb settings, my blue needle is set with the clip on the 3rd groove from the top and my fuel screw is currently at about 1 1/2 turns out from closed. I am mostly riding the bike around 3000' elev. but am tinkering with it in a rough draft sort of way down at 1200' elevation. I have talked to a few guys with much more experience with jetting motorcycles from work and they have suggested moving my clip down one more groove. I beleive this would raise the needle slightly allowing more fuel to the mixture. :cry: I have also read in a different thread that if changing the pilot jet to a 48, that changing the leak-jet is highly reccomended. (if this link works, I deserve a :cry: ) hehe
see Treebark's comment on pilot jet near bottom of first page

whaddaya think guys?

• Texas4play

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:45 AM

I think at 1200' elev (providing temp 70 degrees or less) - blue needle should be in #4 clip position. With the stock pilot your fuel screw should be around 1 3/4. With the richer 48 pilot, probably less (1 1/2, like you have it)- easy to adjust. But, most importantly for your needle, drop it to #4.

• Texas4play

Posted December 16, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Thought to ponder: prior than 05, the wr had an avc mod. The 05 also has some sort of acv on the left side of the carb (in addition to our AIS on the right side). I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there is any reason to modify (like the prior models)?

• correcaminos

Posted December 16, 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hello, I´m from Spain and new here, and I invite to a few beers with tapas to all you thumpertalk members.

I have bought a WR 450 2005, and it carries and antipolution sistem, new in 2005 WRs, i think its like de AIS in the Californian models, but im not sure. Take some photos of that:

http://groups.msn.co...501872834193365

http://groups.msn.co...500853224996612

Can you say to me if this is the AIS or something like that?

Does it concern the performance of the motorcycle?

Well, thank you for the replies

• Lowedog

Posted December 16, 2004 - 08:53 PM

That is the AIS. I don't think that it hampers performance but it does seem to cause a popping on deceleration.

As for the ACV (air cut valve) the '05 carbs seems to be virtualy the same as the '03-'04 with maybe a few minor changes. It does have the ACV. There were some informative threads about it but it looks as if they didn't make the update. I disabled mine for a bit but didn't notice any differance in performance.

Later,
Lowedog

• correcaminos

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Lowedog, my bike is limited (stock), and soon i will go to the dealer for jetting the WR (he is waiting for the new jets), then i will tell you how it goes

Thanks again :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.