650R vs 650L

16 replies to this topic
  • pb1963

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:34 PM

I'm trying to get my friend to buy my '01 650R. He is looking for a dual sport bike to do some fire roading on. He has a CR250 for his serious off road riding. I told him that he should buy my bike and get a Baja Designs kit for it because the R is such a better bike. He said that he could get a 650L cheaper and it would be ready for the street. What do you guys think?

• qadsan

Posted December 14, 2004 - 01:23 PM

If he's mostly going to be riding street, then perhaps the 650l may be a better choice (simple, more comfortable on the road, reliable & proven). If his d/s adventures are mostly off road focused, then the 650r would probably be a better choice.

• DelTronXR

Posted December 14, 2004 - 03:12 PM

You need to also consider the state the bike will be registered in. In California, as I'm sure you know, you can no longer "dual sport" a green stickered 650R. You can always of course buy one that was converted prior to the January 31, 2004 cut off date. The answer is simple though, if he wants more guts and more glory, he's gonna have to go with an R, because there really is no comparison in design, layout, and motor capabilities between the two models.

• sonorawfo

Posted December 20, 2004 - 05:30 PM

If he,s already got a serious offroad mount then I'd lean towards the XRL or a DRZ,S, no worry about being sreet legal + electric start :cry:. I prefer the DRZ for mostly offroad use but the XRL is also a good machine, espechially if he,s a big guy!!. :cry:

• frogman

Posted December 20, 2004 - 08:05 PM

I'm trying to get my friend to buy my '01 650R. He is looking for a dual sport bike to do some fire roading on. He has a CR250 for his serious off road riding. I told him that he should buy my bike and get a Baja Designs kit for it because the R is such a better bike. He said that he could get a 650L cheaper and it would be ready for the street. What do you guys think?

TELL HIM THE "L" STANDS FOR "LADIES MODEL"

• captb

Posted December 21, 2004 - 05:25 PM

I hated my 650L after having 3 600Rs it was a wallering pig off road, I like my XR650R that I have now (street legal) if he is going to ride 80% road the 650L may work ok but I ride 70% off road 30% on road, I run full knobbies the on-off road tires don't cut it off road.

• Kaptain_Kaos

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:06 PM

ok, i have question for you guys....

when did the xr650r become water cooled, or was it always water cooled and the 650L air cooled. :cry:

i have a xr-400 now but am beginning to become interested in a 650.

thanks in advance, Kaos :cry:

• jamesp

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:13 PM

the 650r was water cooled when it came out in 2000

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:02 AM

I also debated between the L and R and went with the L. I was much cheaper, bulletproof design, (air-cooled), has a great aftermarket and has the little extras that a conversion kit doesn't. Like fork lock, helmet lock, buddy pegs, e-start and speedometer. If your friend wants to ride away from the dealer the L is the way to go. I will cost over $600.00 to convert a R for the street if he does the work himself. The L will take him anywhere he wants to go offroad provided he realizes what he is riding.

• sgifford

Posted December 23, 2004 - 10:11 AM

"Ladies model"?? :cry: (I'm 6'6", do they make skirts that will fit?)

I got my 'L' a year ago. I ride it 90/10 dirt/street. Don't let the 'R' hotrods fool you, you can go anywhere, do anything on the L. Yes, it's heavier than the R and not as powerful, but unless you ride at competition levels (or really aggressively) you'll never even use what the L has.

Personally, if the R had the e-button, I would get it and dual-sport it (in Texas). It doesn't though, and I've decided I'm out of the kickstarting business. I want all my energy to go to riding. :cry: I've watching too many guys kicking their bikes over and over and over and over trying to get over/past a tough obstacle. That's not for me anymore.

I've uncorked and lightened my L, added bash-plate, hand-guards and knobbies. It works great off-road for me. Either way I'm sure you'll have fun. :cry:

• roadcam

Posted December 23, 2004 - 10:25 AM

I gotta go with Sgifford , my 'L" will take me anywhere within my own limitations .... Im 6'2" 235#, and the bike doesnt mind a bit, all kinds of grunt ... as to the extra weight, well, most of that problem lies at my dinner table .... after the uncorking, better tires, and some sprocket-juggling (14/48), this old pig still knows how to dance ... unfortunately, I dance poorly, and fall off a lot ... :cry: :cry:

• Mudracer501

Posted December 24, 2004 - 02:26 PM

[COLOR=Red]xr650r[/COLOR] The only choice !!! Add the e-start if you must !! This bike completed the Baja 2000 ( yes 2000 ) as basically a stock set up ! Water cooled ( doesn't over heat like some cr450f's ), dry sumped ( carries almost 2 quarts of oil ), and can be completely street legal ( Baja Designs Kit ). I am 5'8", 160 lbs, and have ridden all the toughest trails too be found at N.C. Brown Mountain Off Road Vehicle Area. I did uncork it and dropped one tooth on the front counter sprocket. Find a long uphill run and hang on for the funniest ride of your life ! :cry: :cry:

• craft

Posted December 24, 2004 - 04:57 PM

As others stated, base it on the amount of street vs. dirt. My XRL gets about 75% street use, that's why I chose it over an XRR. My YZ gets 100% dirt, that's why I chose it over an XRR. I think the XRR is a cross between the CRF and the XRL. It is a great bike, but I would rather have one dual-sport and one mx, not a combination of the two. :cry:

• jamesp

Posted December 24, 2004 - 10:05 PM

[COLOR=Red]xr650r[/COLOR] The only choice !!! I am 5'8", 160 lbs, and have ridden all the toughest trails too be found at N.C. Brown Mountain Off Road Vehicle Area. I did uncork it and dropped one tooth on the front counter sprocket. Find a long uphill run and hang on for the funniest ride of your life ! :cry: :cry:

I rode my first XRL all over Brown Mountain soaking wet during the rain with the stock trailwings. Rode it all over Uwharrie too. Considering taking the second XRL to Hatfield McCoy if I don't sell it first. Carrying oil for the CR250 gets tedious.

• Yeravener

Posted December 29, 2004 - 07:28 PM

I debated the L/R choice this year in SoCal. I eventually went with the L to get a bike which was (relatively) new and street legal. I think someone noted above that in Cal the last year for DPing an R was 2002, so a new R was not an option, and I got tired of looking at beat up two year old street legal Rs.
Street legality here in the Antelope Valley means I can connect large offroad areas with other large off road areas without sweating the highway patrol :cry:

I have seen R models give their riders steam baths in the desert and, being an old school kind of rider, like the "can never fail" aspect of the 650L air cooling.

I have modified the L a bit (check webpage) and ride it 90/10 dirt/street, and will be riding Dual Sport AMA here in the Mojave...and am thinking of picking up an 06 (after bug fix year :cry: ) CRF450X for some serious desert/enduro kicking.

Cheers

• smashinz2002

Posted December 29, 2004 - 09:58 PM

First of all, to the guy who has an XR400 and is thinking of the 650R. Big difference in power if you uncork and re-jet the 650R. And I mean a night and day difference. The XR400 is mellow. An uncorked 650R is truly fast, and very abrupt. You will love it, but hang on!
The 650R is not the same bike as the 650L, in fact, your XR400 would probably smoke a stock 650L, they are so lame and weak in power (unless uncorked/re-jetted, like the 650R, then the 650L makes some decent power).
I have an XR650R for street to trail use, great bike, tons of torque and power, and a KX500 for pure off-road use.

• ghoti

Posted December 30, 2004 - 05:24 AM

So....what did he do? :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.