Cam Chain Tensioner - 99 WR400

3 replies to this topic
  • SXP

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:01 PM

Is this a high wear item on these bikes and do they have to be changed out often? What are the symptoms of a weakening tensioner? The topend of these bikes make so much noise I don't know what to attribute to "normal noise and what to excessive/loud noise. Has anyone actually changed their tensioner out and noticed an appreciable reduction in topend noise? A new one is $50 and I don't want to make an unnecessary purchase. Any help/personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Rattler88

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:31 PM

You will have to remove the valve cover to see if your chain is
loose or not, if it is you will probably need to replace the rubber chain
guide that the tensioner pushes against, also while your there
through in a 03 YZF450 exhaust cam and you can through away
that little leaver you need to pull to kick it over,the cam mod
works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • greg-wr400

Posted December 14, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Jerry, please tell me more about the 03 yz exhaust cam...
I can lose the comp. release? How does this improve overall hp?longer duration? lift? g :cry:

• Rattler88

Posted December 14, 2004 - 04:54 PM

Theres a lot of threads on here about it or you can send me your
number and I will call ya.
I did it to my 01 WR426 and it works great,noticed that it has a lot
more grunt of the start through mid range and with no power loss
at all on top, even seems to run better.

Heres the site http://www.photonrac.../PDF/450cam.pdf
check it out.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.