Studded "SNOW" tires

29 replies to this topic
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Now that the snow is flyin I am startin to think about my studded tires a little more. I have 2 sets of tires that I run in the winter. One is for the ice and the other is for the trail. Ice tires are run on nothing but the ice. Trail tires are for everything else.

Well I cant afford (or find) a good set of pro built ice tires. Nor can I make them. So I will limp along on the tires that I have.

But for trail ridding I want a set of Trellyberg winter friction tires. But there are 2 problems with this.

1. They are bloody expensive, like $600
2. Trelly aint makin them anymore. Some Chineese company took them over and the new ones arn't as good I hear.

So my other option is to make a set. But once again there are financial dificulties to overcome with this also. To start the Bruno Wessel Stud Gun that is needes to insert the studs costs about $350. I missed out on one of these on e-bay this fall, it went for $10.50 :cry: Then there is the cost of the rally studs, $130 for 500 studs. A set of tires is gonna take over 800 studs. Then there is the cost of 2 new tires. Oh and there is Loctite adhesive that you also need. Plus some acid to clean the studs. So what does that all cost about $700 for the 1st set of tires. OUCH.

So I am thinking "if I get a few people in we could offset the cost of the gun" But then no one really own's the gun.

So I dug around a little more and wala I find it. A tool rental place in Muskegon has the gun for rent. I am not sure if it is a Bruno Wessel (the most common brand that I know of) But if it is they rent it for $35 a day. I am bettin that I could stud a few tires in 1 day like this. I already have a good set of tires that I could stud. for maybe $250 I think I could stud up a set.

Check out these websites. It will give you all a better idea what I am looking to do and the tools involved.

www.winterstuds.com

http://www.trailride...rinter_23.shtml

http://mywebpages.co...mods/studs.html

Now IF this works out and I am able to stud a set of tires for a reasonable cost, anyone else interested in something like this? Maybe you supply the tire and I throw them in. Or tell ya's where to rent the gun and you do it yourself.

I may offer the tool place like $100 to see if they will sell me there gun. I mean really how much use do you think that thing sees. $100 is probably gonna be 3 years rental fees for them.

At any rate I thought I would throw this out there for ya all to chew on. Trelly style tires work and last sooo much longer than ice screw tires. especially offroad. I have a friend that has a set of Trelly's that are like 10 years old and they look like new still.

• slow_joe

Posted December 14, 2004 - 04:55 AM

YZman, I might be in for that. If you rent the tool for the weekend, I bet we could get a couple sets done. Fire up the heater in the garage and grab a twevle pack. :cry: Still doesn't look cheap though. It doesn't look like you need 800 studs though, I was thinking about 200 per tire. I have a crushed head pipe I have to take care of first. The snowmachines are just about ready to go, so the winter bike riding might fall off my list if it is going to get too expensive.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 14, 2004 - 05:06 AM

if you put one stud in every knob in the front it will take over 250. And the rear is usually more than that because you can fit like 2-3 in the larger knobs. It takes more than you would think. Yea you can put less in. But more is better. I have a buddy that runs the trelly's and he knows a fella that runs the winterstud brand tire with 1 stud per tire. He said that the trelly's are a far better tire with there multiple studs per knob design.

You can go cheeper on the studs. the automotive style studs are only $22 for 500. What we may be able to do is use the Rally studs in the rear and the automotive studs in the front. The front tire dosn't get any wear so that is not a problem using the cheeper studs there. The rear, because it is spinning, will be harder on studs. That is were the Carbide tipped rally studs will be the ticket.

I gotta go check out that gun and see what it is and what studs it takes. I'll post more as I hear it.

• 2TrakR

Posted December 14, 2004 - 10:49 AM

There's a guy on KTMTalk who just put the auto studs in his tire and floated an offer for doing other people's tires for ~$30/tire (or was it for a set?). I think that included the studs too, you just provide the tire. For as much as I ride the bike in the winter, Kold Kutters are just fine. The sled uses enough play money during the season to keep me off the bike for the most part anyway. Speaking of sleds, I always get a kick out of the "price of playing". You can put on 150 miles for about $15 on your bike, that's riding all day and probably a snack. Sled time can mean more miles (175/day is a high average for us) but that's 2 or 3 fills @ $25 a crack. Then if the wife is along, we have to eat at some fancy place - you know, the kind with a roof and chairs - and there goes another $50. Plus gas to get to the trailhead and gas for _her_ sled. EEEK! I plan for minimum $150/day for snowmobiles, but $150 can get me through one or two weekends of bikes. Good thing I don't live someplace like Alaksa..

• slow_joe

Posted December 14, 2004 - 11:39 AM

Yep, I figure its about a $100 bill every time I have to load the sled on the trailer to ride. Its about $200-$300 if heading to the UP for the weekend. Not a cheap sport.

• Godzuki

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:19 PM

i figure about the same for the bike 100 bucks, 90% is gas for the truck getting to the trail :cry: . depending on where we are riding, baldwin 1 1/2 tanks of gas for the truck, cadilac 2 tanks, kalkaska 2 1/2 tanks at now days about 40 to 50 bucks a fill up :cry: . so yes i feel your pain. as far as doing the stud thing it will have to wait for this year for me, ill just be using cold cutters myself.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:28 PM

we have to eat at some fancy place - you know, the kind with a roof and chairs

Your talking crazy man! Whatever happened to a fried egg sandwich on the side of the trail. You know the one. The sandwich that has been in your fanny pack since the begining of the season. Or the granola bar that long ago stoped looking like a bar and more like cerial. Snackin at the side of the trail or next to the gas station is the shiznit!

$150 can get me through one or two weekends of bikes.

$150 got me thru a week of riding/camping/drinking up to Marquette a few years back. You sleders have too much money to throw around.

• 2TrakR

Posted December 14, 2004 - 02:08 PM

Guess I should keep quieter, since I just upgraded the RV by 12'. The old one pulled 8-10 mpg to get where I would be Bikin' & I don't know what the new one will get. It appeared to get around 10 bustin' ass on the way back from NY with it, but that was the first time I drove it. Old one made me cringe at the pump with it's ~33 gallon tank at fill up time... Probably have to take a loan out each time for the new one with it's 78!! gallon tank. Told the wife she get's to fill it the next time (membership has it's privileges).

• slow_joe

Posted December 15, 2004 - 01:20 PM

YZman, I think I am just going to put some screws in the tires this year since I only plan on riding a couple times during the snow season. So, are you going to test your tires this weekend?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 15, 2004 - 01:45 PM

I dont have nothing to test yet. My snow tire is toast. Needs studs. Which reminds me I gotta make me some calls to find some screws.

No I gotta tear the YZ apart this weekend and check the valves and grease some squeeky parts. No riddin this weekend unless I get really lucky and Bostons has my shims in stock.

IF I do ride this weekends it is gonna be without studs. Should be interesting. Ive done it before. I could throw on a studded front though. That will at least keep the front under me.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Oh I learned one more thing yesterday. My buddie w/ the trellyberg tires counted up the studs. His front has 300 and the rear 18" is 350. $195 should do a set of tires using the carbide Rally studs. Using the Automotive style studs you could do it for $33.

I still got to check out the gun that the rental place has. And i have a few other leads to check out also for a stud gun.

• sndmn2

Posted December 15, 2004 - 07:47 PM

Gee, if you want to practice on a set first to get a good feel for when you do yours I"ll gladly send you a set of tires. :cry:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:45 AM

I got some more info today. I e-mailed a place called www.winterstuds.com they had this to say.

Don,

The Trelleborg Studs are a 9mm rally stud. As far as the lengths, we are currently using 9 x 20mm in front tires and rear tires. I have personally studded front with 9 x 20mm studs and a rear with 9 x 23mm studs (on a Honda CR250). We were trying the 9 x 23’s as a test to see how well they would hold up in our tires. So far I have all last season on them and I just put them back on 2 rides ago and they held up well. I used the 9 x 23’s in every knob, including the side knobs. There are no clearance issues with the chain or the swingarm. But, the tires that we are currently selling have 9 x 20’s in both the front and rear tires. Trelleborg does however use two (2) different length studs in their tires.

We use the 3.5mm bit for both the 8mm and 9mm studs.

Hole depth for the 9 x 20mm Rally Stud is: 0.578”

A front tire has about 280 studs and our rear tires have about 240 studs, that is one stud per knob.

We have 9mm Stud Guns in stock and we also have studs in stock. Also all our studs are the Rally Stud.

Sorry for the late reply. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Joe Clark

Winterstuds.com

www.winterstuds.com

1-877-438-8369

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 16, 2004 - 07:54 AM

i figure about the same for the bike 100 bucks, 90% is gas for the truck getting to the trail :cry: . depending on where we are riding, baldwin 1 1/2 tanks of gas for the truck, cadilac 2 tanks, kalkaska 2 1/2 tanks at now days about 40 to 50 bucks a fill up :cry: . so yes i feel your pain. as far as doing the stud thing it will have to wait for this year for me, ill just be using cold cutters myself.

2.5 tanks of gas to Kalkaska! :cry: Jeez, I went down to lansing and back a couple of months ago and only used about 3/4 of a tank (30gal.) You must really have a lead foot Jim. :cry:

• Godzuki

Posted December 16, 2004 - 06:21 PM

let me correct myself that was to kalakaska and back or round trip id you will for that gas total. yes i do have a lead foot hehe :cry: thats running about 75ish+ or - 10mph :cry: oh yea i have a 22 gallon tank 305 vortech v8

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 16, 2004 - 06:37 PM

You need to get rid of that truck zuki. What do you haul with that thing that you need a fullsize truck for. Get a Ranger or a S10 w/ v-6. Waaay beter milage and a better ride to boot.

• Godzuki

Posted December 16, 2004 - 06:52 PM

actually its not what i haul when i ride with you guys its what i haul when i go camping or on trips to see my parents. the back of that truck is backed every camping trip, and time we come back from seeing my parents. i could actually use a long bed, or an enclosed trailor(this is what i realy want). plus there are the plans for down the road, of a travel trailor camper, and maybe a boat of some kind. what i would like to get is a deisel 3/4 or 1 ton stick. much better gas mileage than gas motor and more reliable also longer lasting. ive tried the little truck method, its not for me not enough pulling power at least in the toyota that my father inlaw let me use to go road racing with a couple of weekends. it realy struggeld with a cbr f3, and alot of associated things that go along with racing for a weekend. the truck i would like would be the chevy duramax deisle, i know 2 people that get around 26 miles to the gallon with them, i get last i checked 17 on the hyway

as to how much gas i used i am gussing at the 2 1/2 tanks i know i did not have a full tank before i left, so i filled up somewhere along the way i think it was in plain well, that go me to kalkaska, i filled up there when i left, and i ....now i know i filled up the tank just before i got home so yea maybe it was just 2 tanks of gas i do remember it was over 2 bucks a gallon though

• slow_joe

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:01 AM

I might try to sneak out to Cedar Saturday. I have my rear shock apart right now and should have it back together tonight. Run it over to Boston in the morning for a charge, and have it back on the bike Saturday morning. If that pans out, I will be dieing to test it out. Sunday I have the in-laws Christmas party plus it is supposed to get really cold and snow Sunday.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:26 AM

I might try to sneak out to Cedar Saturday. I have my rear shock apart right now and should have it back together tonight. Run it over to Boston in the morning for a charge, and have it back on the bike Saturday morning. If that pans out, I will be dieing to test it out. Sunday I have the in-laws Christmas party plus it is supposed to get really cold and snow Sunday.

Let me know!

• slow_joe

Posted December 17, 2004 - 04:19 PM

Ok, the shock is together. The Fedex man dropped me off some Kold Kutters. I gotta test it tomorrow. I think Bostons opens at 9:00, so by the time I get it charged and back on the bike, it will be about 10:00. Load the bike and get out there, about 10:45-11:00. Let me know if that works for you YZman.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Wisconsin

Hare Scrambles in Wisconsin by conman58

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Minnesota

Sun. 8-10 // New Bikes, New Guys, And A Cat - A Supermoto Comeback // 11AM Ksu by NorthStarHooligan

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Minnesota

Minnesota - Places to ride <120 miles from MPLS? by sullivjo

• Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

UP bug conditions by carl johansson

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.