True 05WR weight with /WO Estart

63 replies to this topic
  • simon@vic

Posted January 16, 2005 - 12:14 AM

estimations in imperial for you guys :cry: .

-bike 245lbs :cry:
-engine oil 3lbs
-fork oil 3lbs
-coolant 4lbs
-shock oil 1lbs
-all grease in the bike 1lbs
-good skidplate 3lbs
-rad braces .5lbs
-bark busters 2lbs

262.5lbs approx. ready to ride. 3lbs less then the 2004.
leave the starter on ya dumbie. the Yamaha batt and starter weigh nothing!!!

all 450s "seem heavy". its not because of the weight!!!!!! its because they have gobs of power and are taller then ever. :cry: i love the way my 2004 feels. if it was any lighter, it would flip over like a Le mans car :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 16, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Simon is real close with his analysis! :cry: My bike weighs 286 lbs with 3.4 gallons of fuel in her. Gas is about 6.8 lbs per gallon so my bike without the fuel weighs 263. lbs. :cry: But I still love the way it handles everything! :cry:

• jwriott

Posted January 16, 2005 - 06:27 AM

Those weights I'll believe. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 16, 2005 - 07:28 AM

ya my 04 wieghed just over 262 w/without gas, starter removal is worth 13 lbs (if you remove the gears and starter clutch) and this also allows the use of the yz airbox ($50) to not only get better flow but save another 1.5 lbs. i've got mine down almost 25 lbs from stock,but have added almost 10 lbs of other crap.it now weighs 248-9 . the 05 was supposedly a couple lbs lighter. so its possible to get that bike into the mid 230's if stripped clean of everything. it is a very noticeable difference in the handling. i use a rekluse clutch and have a pro-tec kwick kicker (lighter and shorter for faster spin) so i never stall and if it does kicking is no prob. :cry: oh and a lb of grease??? what planet does that bike come from? i just regreased my whole bike ,steering stem,axles swingarm ,linkage etc. and only used a 1/4 of the lb tub!!!

• simon@vic

Posted January 16, 2005 - 11:10 AM

if you guys are set on stripping them, i need spare starting components. feel free to send me all your starters, starter gears, batts, airboxes.

i also need some spare wheels, forks, and an engine. i hear pulling them off your bike will lighten it up massively :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 16, 2005 - 11:15 AM

i sold all my starter parts for $250 so i guess you'd have to feel free to send $$, starters don't belong on real dirtbikes anyhow. whats next automatic a$$ wipers???

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 16, 2005 - 02:37 PM

i sold all my starter parts for $250 so i guess you'd have to feel free to send $$, starters don't belong on real dirtbikes anyhow. whats next automatic a$$ wipers???

Sorry Simon. I bought all of NCMountainman's starter equipment. He forgets us short guys need the electric start. :cry:

• MorningRider

Posted January 16, 2005 - 03:22 PM

TE-450 dry weight 237. e start included.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 16, 2005 - 04:25 PM

I love the new Huskies! :cry: I just cant see buying one until they truely come back in full support for US customers. :cry:

• stonewall

Posted January 16, 2005 - 04:29 PM

TE-450 dry weight 237. e start included.

With both bikes ready to ride, no gas, that Husky TE450 ( 258 lbs.) is a whopping 4 lbs. lighter than a '04 WR450(262lbs.) The KTM 450 EXC (254 lbs.) is 8 lbs. lighter than the WR. None of them are what you would call lightweights.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Domenic_WRF

Posted January 16, 2005 - 04:45 PM

With both bikes ready to ride, no gas, that Husky TE450 ( 258 lbs.) is a whopping 4 lbs. lighter than a '04 WR450(262lbs.) The KTM 450 EXC (254 lbs.) is 8 lbs. lighter than the WR. None of them are what you would call lightweights.

Plus the riders 260 pounds.. :cry:

• MorningRider

Posted January 16, 2005 - 05:25 PM

here we go with the secret math of adding fluids. I'll stick with published dry weights - makes me feel better anyway. lets see the 2005 KTM 450EXC is this week 248lbs according to the web site that last week said it was 251 I swear. I guess KTM's ready to race no fuel weight include the other fliuds like motor oil, suspension fork oils, brake fluids, radiator coolant, etc. and since you say that the husky grows somehow by 20 lbs, that means I guess husky must leave out all those other fluids in their Dry weight as does the WRF as it grew 18 lbs in your ready to race formula. How did the EXC grow 8 lbs?

I get lost. I did find out that the TE forks are 45MM while the 05 WRF forks are 48mm that must count for some weight differnce.

• Domenic_WRF

Posted January 16, 2005 - 05:53 PM

here we go with the secret math of adding fluids. I'll stick with published dry weights - makes me feel better anyway. lets see the 2005 KTM 450EXC is this week 248lbs according to the web site that last week said it was 251 I swear. I guess KTM's ready to race no fuel weight include the other fliuds like motor oil, suspension fork oils, brake fluids, radiator coolant, etc. and since you say that the husky grows somehow by 20 lbs, that means I guess husky must leave out all those other fluids in their Dry weight as does the WRF as it grew 18 lbs in your ready to race formula. How did the EXC grow 8 lbs?

I get lost. I did find out that the TE forks are 45MM while the 05 WRF forks are 48mm that must count for some weight differnce.

What does it matter? anything is lighter than that DRZ you ride :cry: Even a XR650R...Cisco's not ever going to buy a Yamaha, this thread is dead..RIP :cry:

• jwriott

Posted January 16, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Bob, Husky's must be weighing their bike on the same scale Yamaha does to post dry weight :cry:

Husky left everyone high and dry and you couldn't buy parts for $hit. You'll never see may ass on one again after that cluster*uck. I don't give a rats a$$ how good anyone says they are. :cry:

• RdeBlue001

Posted January 16, 2005 - 07:54 PM

really you guys thats sad... i ride a ttr 225: a heavy, underpowered slob of a bike and i can still kick it around corners and keep up with 250s and xr400s at the desert and trails

• MorningRider

Posted January 16, 2005 - 09:00 PM

I'm just trying to understand the math. it don't matter ......

• ncmountainman

Posted January 17, 2005 - 06:48 AM

the math is that the manufacturers know that the normal slob ain't gonna put his bike on a scale,and they go through life thinking the bike wieghs what they told them it does! i don't know about ktm or husky (i wouldn't piss on either one if it was on fire) but yamaha has been misleading the public since day one, i've been told by a couple different people that thier dry wieght does not include tires ! well that would make sense, but devious indeed :cry: most everyone knows but there are still plenty of people that will argue t'ill the death that what the manufacturer says is really what the bike weighs. put 'em on a scale boys :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:12 AM

really you guys thats sad... i ride a ttr 225: a heavy, underpowered slob of a bike and i can still kick it around corners and keep up with 250s and xr400s at the desert and trails

well then, you have never been riding with me in the open. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:19 AM

starters don't belong on real dirtbikes anyhow. whats next automatic a$$ wipers???

do you ever ride in the forest covered mountains? or do hill climbs???

what do you do when there is no way in hell to kick start. you are 90% up the longest and nastiest hill climb you have ever tried? cant kick, cant stand, cant turn around................

• ncmountainman

Posted January 17, 2005 - 11:31 AM

don't stall, REKLUSE !!! :cry: and i live smack in the middle of forest covered mtns;smokies/blueridge :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.