Locking Options?

9 replies to this topic
  • BadlandZ

Posted December 13, 2004 - 09:05 AM

Now that my WR450F is seeing some pavement, I’d like to be able to keep it a bit more securely in public. So, I’ve been debating trying to fit some keyed ignition switch in place of the ignition button, or getting a big chain or lock for the bike, or both.

Anyone have tips? What works well for a keyed ignition switch? What locks fit/secure the bike well? Where would I carry a lock (backpack? some frame attached mount?)?

• spy

Posted December 13, 2004 - 09:42 AM

Besides the ignition switch, you could consider disc locks. Some even come with a pouch that you can slap on the handlebars when not using.

• mousemeat

Posted December 13, 2004 - 09:51 AM

I disconnect the e-start for urban endeavours and use a mini U-lock made for discs to lock the kick start to the frame. I also lock the frame to something with a big fat chain.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 13, 2004 - 09:59 AM

I also lock the frame to something with a big fat chain.

That must be a sight to see you riding down the road with a logging chain wrapped around your neck as a security system....

Bonzai :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted December 14, 2004 - 04:57 AM

I keep one at work and one at home. The only on-road action my bike sees is commuting in london.

I used to carry a big chain round my neck on my old bmx when i was in college.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:42 AM

When I had my KTM Supermoto, I used to use a pair of handcuffs as a helmet lock when parked somewhere that I did'nt want to carry my helmet around. One end of the cuffs goes through the D-rings on your helmet strap & the other around something on the bike (frame, subframe, between the handle bar mounts around the bar, etc). I'd either put them on my crossbar pad or on a beltloop while riding. I know that anyone with a handcuff key would be able to get at them, but my guess is not a whole lot of people carry one around. I've mostly found that locks are good for "keeping the honest man honest", if someone truely wants to steal something, they'll figure out how to do it regardless of how hard you try to prevent them.

• mousemeat

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:06 PM

I think that thieves have enough bikes to pick from that locking yours to something immovable will encourage theives to steal someone else's...

Like the handcuffs idea though. Very kinky.

• greg-wr400

Posted December 14, 2004 - 05:29 PM

Without a doubt, install a hidden kill switch. All locks can be cut. i had a 4 week old xr650l stolen (probably did me a favor). when i got the replacement i hid a kill switch that i could just reach with my middle finger. It should take about an hour to install on power wire to coil, but hide it well. g

• olskool

Posted December 14, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Cheap insurance is a large long chain and large lock that is too big for a large bolt cutter. That's what I always use for my harleys, and I lock it to another bike, or something immoveable if I can. A big chain's too heavy for carrying on a dirtbike, unless you have a decent saddlebag for it. I recommend a good hardened steel lock and a coiled heavy plastic coated motorcycle cable or two so it can be locked to something immoveable. Not as heavy as a large chain, and more compact. Always wrap it through the frame. I think it would be too easy for someone to physically pick up your 250lb bike and put it in a truck or trailer if it's not chained to something. Park in a highly visable location, and don't let it out of your sight for long if you don't. A hidden kill switch is good.

• thumpinTed

Posted December 14, 2004 - 09:58 PM

Where in "public" do you intend to visit- an upscale area or a slumish area is pretty much irrelevant its what you are doing when off the bike that should be considered. I have ridden from half moon bay to Alice's restaurant for a burger and a brew where there are 50 to 100 bikers there, crotch rocketeers and burley HD guys for the most part. I stood out like a sore thumb on a dualsport bike.But the perceived biker mentality is to watch out for each other. I usually keep my bike in sight and lock it when I may be a while, but my stops are not much longer than 30 min.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.