over heating

7 replies to this topic
  • Speedin' Ian

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:58 AM

I just bought a 426 and road it for the first time this weekendand I was wondering, do these bikes over heat? The reason I ask is I did a pretty long and technical loop with sections where the motor was idling for about ten minutes and we were only going about 5mph. I would blip the throttle from time to time and it seemed fine but since this is my first 4-stroke I was curious what you guys think.

• Dano426

Posted December 14, 2004 - 07:57 AM

Yes the new 4-strokes over heat if you let is sit idling or going slow.
You will need to keep moving. I usually lead our trail rides, and when I am waiting for some of the stragglers to catch up, I turn off my bike.

I had some issues with over heating until I changed the way I ride and started using engine ice

There is always a big debate on the cost of engine ice and if it is worth it. I use it, because it just works for me :cry:

• Speedin' Ian

Posted December 14, 2004 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the response Dano, I'll look into switching over to engine ice, I run that in my shifter kart so I may as well put it in the bike. Should I only worry about it on hot summer days, or will it overheat on cold days as well. I appologize for all the questions but I had a string of bad luck with this bike so I want to make sure nothing else goes wrong.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 14, 2004 - 03:17 PM

You can get a higher pressure radiator cap which will raise the boil over temp by a few degrees.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dano426

Posted December 15, 2004 - 10:38 AM

Well you being from So Cal and me from MN - the term cold days might mean two different things. :cry: I did have my bike over heat once on a tight single track (50 degress) before I started using engine ice.

Hope that answered your question?

sirthumpalot is right - a new radiator cap will help as well.

• Reyndogg

Posted December 15, 2004 - 10:51 AM

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

• Harry Paratestes

Posted December 15, 2004 - 06:18 PM

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

Nope, get one from a KXF/RMF. All it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 16, 2004 - 01:00 AM

The factory riders make the rads bigger and instal a 1.8 cap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.