I want to buy your WR450 E-Button

17 replies to this topic
  • Grandville

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:12 AM

For a variety of reasons, I understand some of my fellow WR450 owners have disconnected their E-Button and do not intend to use it. I broke mine last weekend as I reluctantly went over the handle bars crossing a creek.

If you have an E-button switch that you're not using and would like to sell it, Please let me know. I rather pay you than the local dealer.

Thanks

• Jackazz

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:38 AM

If you can't find one from someone on here, I've seen them on ebay for pretty cheap...

• Grandville

Posted December 13, 2004 - 08:05 AM

Thank you Jackazz. That is a very good suggestion.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 13, 2004 - 10:49 AM

For a variety of reasons, I understand some of my fellow WR450 owners have disconnected their E-Button and do not intend to use it. I broke mine last weekend as I reluctantly went over the handle bars crossing a creek.

If you have an E-button switch that you're not using and would like to sell it, Please let me know. I rather pay you than the local dealer.

Thanks

Another option is to buy a kill switch from Dennis Kirk or parts unlimited and use that as your E-start button. Any kill switch will work. (Honda, Suk, etc.) They are all 2 wire hook ups. Your factory connections won't match up, but it's pretty simple to splice wires together.

I did this on both my kill switch and my Estart button. The stock ones are cheap. I broke both of mine with in the first 2 months of having the bike.

• barefootbob

Posted December 13, 2004 - 11:27 AM

Broke mine on the first ride Tree stump hiding in some brush hit my handle bars BIFFER stuck between my bike and a treestump for about 10 minuts untill I managed to wiggle out.You got to shut the power off anyway to many buttons dont need it.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted December 13, 2004 - 02:10 PM

I don't have one for sale, but if you unplug your stock kill button and move it to the right side, plug it back in where the start button WAS, presto-chango. Your kill button is now your starter button. It plugs right into the harness. You can shut off your bike with the large, lighted on-off switch up by the odometer. It worked for me when my switch took a dump. :cry:
Jim

• montanaWR250F

Posted December 13, 2004 - 02:31 PM

I have a start button with no button. If this is what you need then PM me.

• Grandville

Posted December 13, 2004 - 05:58 PM

Thank you all for the very clever, adaptive and resourceful suggestions. I always learn something new when I read post on this particular forum. We got a great bunch of guys here that always try to help each other. I feel the power of thumpertalk.

I'm am going to hold out for the original part even if I have to buy it from the dealer.

• Alabama_Rider

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:23 AM

I got one made by TUSK for $9.00 form Rocky
Mountain MC. It is much better than the stock....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grandville

Posted December 14, 2004 - 09:18 AM

I'll check that out Alabama Rider. Why do you think it's better? Thanks for the suggestion.

• Treebark

Posted December 15, 2004 - 07:56 AM

I have lost 3 e-butons and would recommend if you want to keep using the factory switch to wrap tape around the button and that will keep the button from popping out. I was sick of spending the money every time this happened and bought a aftermarket kill switch that has 2 wires from moose that fit on KTM's and spliced it into the factory plug and plug it in, I have not had any problems since. :cry:

• xcracer123

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:17 PM

I would suggest buying an aftermarket kill button to replace the original start button. Those things are so weak that they will continually break. The standard red square kill buttons are much hardier and are a lower profile so they don't smash as easily. That's what I did with mine and all has been fine with it since.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Ditto! I replaced both my kill switch and e-start button with heavy duty kill switch buttons that are twice the size and built much better. I cut the wires behind the headlight and soldered in the new switches and wrapped with electrical tape. They have held up for a year now with no issues. The stock buttons are a poor design and wear out or even pop off in the worst times. :cry:

• Grandville

Posted December 16, 2004 - 09:45 AM

OK, I got it. I appreciate the wisdom and experience of my fellow TT members. I don't want to replace my e-button with the same. It seems many have you have been there done that before me. I will look for an after market unit that is more heavy duty. Anyone kind enough to reccomend a source.

Thanks for everyones comments, Grandville :cry:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:37 AM

Dennis Kirk. I'm currently using the black one in the picture as my e-start button.

Click

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 16, 2004 - 11:34 AM

Those look the same as mine they are twice the size of the stock units. I think these are standard on the YZ250 2 smokes as well. I just ran down to a local dealer at LBL and put them on same day in the middle of a long weekend of riding my stocker broke. :cry:

• gloft

Posted December 20, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Hey Grandville, What did you end up doing on your kill switch? I too lost mine recently. Didn't realize how much I love the e-start until I kicked it all day Saturday!

• Grandville

Posted December 20, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Hi gloft,

I ordered the black one shown on the far right of the Dennis Kirk site posted by my new friend Mr. "streetbikepimp". I ordered it from a place I found on an e-bay store site out of Florida, for about $ 12.95.

If it is compatible and appears beefy enough, I plan to to take the Indy's advice and solder it in. I think it will be awhile before I get to it. I have a few other things to fix ahead of it; fork seals, water pump shaft and seals. I'll let you know how it goes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.